Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Just an Egg

discus lying on side help

went out to do my last feed tonight and he ws lying on his side when i went to move him he dint seem to have alot of control swiming out of balance anyone got any ideas on what to do

cheers Cal

hey mate,
    it sounds like a swim bladder disorder. we need more information before i can be sure thoagh.

PLEASE NOTE: when using the illness and medications section always provide the following details: tank specs. water parameters, fish affected (how many, 1, 2, all etc) and an overview of what has been going on in the last few days (any spray cans been used near tank etc).

it is very hard for people to help you out when we have such a short description to work with. certainly the more details you give the faster we can come to a conculsion to help you and you dont get a million questions about people asking you for tank specs and water parameters etc.

just a reminder

i hope we can help you out soon!

cheers
    David
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Just an Egg
    sorry about lack of info to much going through my mind at once trying to find out what to do

tank size is 3ftby18by16
    water condition is aged as i had fish living in it before i ripped them out antd put my 3 discus in only 1 is affected water is changed every 3-4 days 30% maybe a bit more but not much change water consists of to every 200litres 1cup of salt 2 teaspoons of bicarb 1 teaspoon of epson salts my water stays alkaline im going out to test it now should i put some prime in i did before i introduced them 2-3 days ago oh and they have definatly been eating as the bottom of my tank is glass and i can see what they have left behind

cheers Cal

Just an Egg
    Hi Red Tail Shark
    Do an immediate water change of 50% and use your Prime to condition the new water.
    The amouny of salt you are using in your tank seems alot.
    Discus prefer soft water and salt makes the water hard.
    Salt is mainly used in a discus tank for medical reasons at 1 teaspoon per 40 litres. Can you advise us of what fish you had in the tank before you put in the discus?
    Heidi

Just an Egg
    After you have done your water change, it would also be helpful if you could post the water parameters of your tank – this will help other Forum Members to assist you. If you do not have these test kits, your Local Fish Shop should be able to perform these tests for you.

Ph
    Ammonia
    Nitrite
    Nitrate
    Gh
    Kh
    Temp

It would also be easier for other Forum Members to assist you if you could answer the following questions.

How long has your tank and filter been in operation?
    How many discus are in your tank?
    How long have you had your discus?
    What age are your discus?
    What and how many other occupants are in your tank?
    What sort of filtration do you run on your tank (litres per hr)?
    What additives do you put into your new water?
    What are you feeding your discus?
    How many times a day do you feed your discus?

If you can include a picture, that would also be a big help.

Heidi

Just an Egg
    thanx for the info i had mainganoes in there before
    what can i use to soften the water
    i have done a water change not quiet 50% and treated with prime 5times normal dose just in case its an amonia spike
    didnt realise about salt was using purely as a preventive as i make my change water in a 200litre drum i treat with a water conditoner put in a cup of salt, 2 teaspoons of bicarb and 1 of epson salts i also airate and heat the water
    looks like i might need to have a separate water change drum for these guys

cheers Cal

you don't put a cup of salt in a 200 litre drum. discus dont need any salt at all.i add about 4-5 teaspoons for about that much that too only when they are moved around and get stressed. i hope the water change fixes the problem, it usually does in most cases.

Just an Egg
    sory must have been typing last message at the sme time as u where Heidi

ph is 7.2

sorry dont have the other test kits as yet on my next to get list

temp 26degrees

tank has been in operation for 6months or more

3 discus in the tank

had discus for about 4-5 months

age unknown bought from a LFS at about 5-6cm guessing and there at about 8-9cm now

only other occuppants are some maingano fry in a fry saver

filtration is 1 sponge filter and 2 large modern type box filters all air driven

feeding them a mixture of wardleys premium flake and hbh gowth and colour and the occasional blood worm and nutrafin tropical fish flake

i feed them 1-2 a day morning then night or one or the other

i moved these guys from one tank to another the tank they came from was identically kept water conditions but it was at 28degrees and the other was at 26 degrees but i did have them in a bucket and introduced some of the water from the tank they where goigng into and let them sit in it for about 15mins

working on a picture

cheers Cal

Just an Egg
    It seems as though you have been keeping African Cichlids - which like hard alkaline water. For an african tank that amount of salt would be fine.
    Discus are an American Cichlid who need to live in soft acidic water.
    Let us know what area of the world you are from and someone maybe able to give you approx water parameters on your local water supply. In the mean time, just dont add any salt into your water, unless it is for medical reasons at 1 teaspoon per 40 litres.
    Heidi

Just an Egg
    should i do a water change now with out the salt

and is there anything can use to soften the water

what would a good ph level be to keep these guys at