Thread: Hex Q's.

Medium Discus

Hex Q's.

One of my discus may have Hex as yesterday I noticed that it had white poo. It also has not been eating that well for the last couple of days.

I bought some dimetronidazole (Emtryl) from a LFS and dosed the tank. I have a few questions regarding the treatment. How often do I treat it and do I keep the lights on during the treatment? Also do I need to do a W/C before redosing?

Also does 1g or 1.3ml per 50 litres sound like the correct dosage?

Thanks,
    Dave.

Medium Discus

hex

Hi Davo,

White poo does not 100% classify a fish as having hex. This can be mucous discharge in the faeces, or sometimes undigested bloodworm casings.

However, you mentioned the fish are not eating - this would confirm the diagnosis of hex.

A bath treatment is not the most effective to target the organism. Metronidazole has a half life of 8 hours in solution, meaning it is very difficult to maintain a therapeutic dosage at a constant level because the concentration of active drug in the water cycles up and down. Much better to combine it into the food you are feeding - but you will have to use a bath strategy if the fish arent eating (obviously).

Dose in water - 250mg per 40L for early cases with 20% w/c every 8hrs & redose drug after each change. continue for 5 days

Stubborn cases need a dose of 400mg per 40L with 20% w/c every 8 hrs & redose of drug after w/c. continue for 10 days

Dose in food - 1g per 100g of food. Feed twice daily for 5 days.

HTH

G

Medium Discus
    What product does a LFS sell that has Metro in it????
    Benny

Medium Discus
    The LFS gets it from a vet. As in my post it is called dimetronidazole or "emtryl". I spoke to a vet yesterday and he said that it is a better medication than metronidazole (flagyl) as it dissolves alot better than metro.

Ijust hope that the 1.3ml/50 litre is the correct dosage. I dosed it yesterday afternoon and did a 30% WC tonight then dosed again.

The discus are not distressed.

Dave.

Medium Discus

fish

Davo - I think i know of the LFS where you may have got it from.

Dimetro is dosed at 1g per 50L on day 1,3 and 5

w/c in between

G