Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    SnakeSkin Discus
    marg the price difference is aproximately $300
    Nathan

This has to been one of the best test's/reports on aquarium hardware I have seen to date!

Thank you very much for doing this Taksan as there is some excellent information there regardless if we own one of the canisters or not.

This seems to perplex me though.....

There are 3 FX5 filter pads per box, whilst 6 are needed to fill all 3 FX5 baskets.

I wonder why they would sell their pads in 2 boxes rather than one complete box?

Cheers
    Ben

This seems to perplex me though.....

There are 3 FX5 filter pads per box, whilst 6 are needed to fill all 3 FX5 baskets.

I wonder why they would sell their pads in 2 boxes rather than one complete box?
    It is done for a specific reason, you shouldnt change more than 50% of the media at once, even though it is primarily for mechanical filtration, it does serve as a biological host as well.

Wrigglers
    Great post Taksan and im sure it will be used for many years to come

Thanks Taksan for your time and dedication
    Timothy

Hi Taksan,

What can I say ? easily the best forum based review I have read. Invaluble info and a honest unbiased review .... top work, thanks for sharing the info.

One thing I will say regarding the cost difference in the Eheim and Fluval is that I would easily go for Eheim each time. Reason being that I have used Eheims for years and never ever had any issues at all ... just maintain them and the go for ever ...... and ever. I have used one Fluval canister in the past, a few years back, and I no longer use it. From my personal experience Fluval doesn't last like Eheim does ... I may be wrong, but that is my expirence with the two brands.

Cheers,

Dee.

If you also keep your eyes open, the Eheim Pro III is on sale occasionally at several online retailers. That certainly seals the deal IMO

Medium Discus
    great rewiew!

I'm thinking of Eheims next time just beause of the noise level, which is very important to me. I guess if you can get it on sale, the price would be close enough to justify it.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    ok, can someone PLEASE help me?! (and my first post here)

so, i have to get an external filter eheim 2080 or FX5.

i want get the eheim, only that an email from eheim support service told me that the maximum allowed distance between the water level and the top edge of the intaking pipe shouldn't be more than 10 cm.(for fx5 is 20cm)

my problem is that i will have turtles in the aquarium (180x60x60) and i just cannot have the water level less than 15 cm.

they've told me that the selfprimig system will not work correctly. I was wondering, ‘cause when the water is already in the fuse, by a simple fluids’ dynamic it will continue flowing, with absolutelly no effort from the filter.

does anyone have any ideas what risks exactlely might I face if I will increse the distance to 15-16 cm?

thanks alot for your help,

dorin

Medium Discus
    Dorin,
    It will not work.

I have Fluval set up. When I change my water, I don't shut off the filters and they will keep going as long as the water level don't get too low. When I tried to do more than the usual amount of water change, the filter just stops after the water dropped to some lower level.

I think in my case it was the distance between the filter outlet and water level, not the inlet. If the distance is more than the set length, the filter will stop working since it has fix amount of power to push water through.

Medium Discus
    sounds to me like the self priming suction cant lift more than 10 cm of water, ie it cant pull the water further up to start dropping sown and into the canister body

i have an old eheim with no self priming, i tend to just leave the pipes full of water from inlet in tank to connection , near canister body
    this way i alays have the water up and over the edge of the tank ad back down to the floor to start the syphon again

if your purchased the eheim i would think the filter will work, just not self prime

i'm only guessing though as i havent got one to try it out

andrew