Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Larvae

discus gone phsyco

My discus recently gone phsyco, everytime i walk pass they just gone swim very fast from one end to another end. Currently they not taking any food ... even live worms ...

I do water changes daily ... so does anyone have the same problem before ??

cheers

andrie

Medium Discus
    what are your water parameter? If you do daily water changes, I can't see those being out of whack too much though, but it helps to post them for people's assessment.
    do they swim around like mad when you're not walking past? are they swimming towards you, or back and forth, or are thwy swimming away from you and trying to hide? have you watched them what they're like when they don't see you? what's their behaviour like, then? for discus to become skittish can have any number of reasons. water too acidic, parasites, fungus, bacteria ....
    the not taking food business won't do at all.
    please post your water parameters and whether the fish look different, knowing what colour their poo is, helps with a diagnosis, too. have you tested your tap water recently? have you introduced aything new into the tank?

Larvae
    try to get the water parameters tonite ...

but they swim like mad sometimes when am not around but most of the time they are fine. They gone mad again when i walk past and then they get settle down together in one corner ...

i think the last time i test the water ph is about 6.6. so far have't seen them poo yet as they didn't take anything at all ...

the only new thing that i intoduce to the tank is one of my female fighter and 2 angel fish ...

Quote Originally Posted by catfishbone

the only new thing that i intoduce to the tank is one of my female fighter and 2 angel fish ...
    Ummmmmm did you quarantine the new fish first?
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Larvae
    Hi ladyred,

my fighting fish was not a new fish. I had her before and I thought that she will live better in a lot bigger tank than the one that she was in before.

so do you think that she's the one who bring all of these fuss ??

andrie

Andrie my concern is more with the new angel fish. Have you had them before, or did they come from a pet shop.

Angels can carry a lot of bugs, but be immune to them, but they can pass them on to other fish, like discus. Now this may not be the case with your fish. We need to see your water parameters first.

When discus go nuts like that, it's usually a water quality issue. Sometimes a big waterchange and a light dose of salt cures it.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Larvae
    hi all,

I've run a test last nite and the result is

Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    pH 6.8

and this morning i took out my angel fish and fighting fish out of my discus tank

andrie

Wrigglers
    It may not be pathogen or water related problem, andrie.

It may be just that the quantity of discus in that tank is too small and an introduction of aliens may just break their sense of security.....leading to sensitivity to any movement in and outside of the tank.

Therefore, when you cast a moving shadow across the tank and with certain reaction from the angels may just trigger panic and causes the discus to hide.

If you have a 4 feet tank with sufficient discus...say 15 to 20 of 100mm size...and you put 2 angels and a fighting fish, they will not create an effect. But if you only have 5 discus.....then maybe.....

Take care,
    Andrew
    'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    Author
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e.php?ref=home

Tiny Fry
    Ammonia reading?

Larvae
    Hi Andrew,

I had a 4ft tank with prev 8 discus and 3 of them died last nite leaving me with confussions ... ????? ....

now in the tank I have 5 discus left and 4 enamel fin tetra after i took out the 2 angels and fighting fish ...

last nite when i still have my fighting fish and 2 angels in there, my discus starting to do less mad swimming but occasionally i heard it about twice or 3 times ...

I was thinking to do a water change tonite and will add some salt and see how it goes ... what do you think ??

and Trebs I haven't had amonia test as yet.

cheers,

andrie