Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Just an Egg

Should i deworm?

I had purchased 8 juveniles about 1 month back, since then four of them have grown up quite a bit, they've doubled in size and four of them havn't shown much growth (none in fact) however they eat normally .I didn't deworm them till now cause they underwent treatment for Ick about 12 days back. they are perfectly alright now except for the growth part for the four. Shoud i deworm or is it some thing else?

Vicky I'd deworm them for pinworm and threadworm. You need a product containing Levamisole. The tablets that treat tapeworm don't control pinworm, you need something specific.

Check with your local pet shop or your vet for the right product.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    whatever you say Ladyred.

I'll look for some medicine containing levimasol and will consult my vet and ofcourse you before giving the medicine tomorrow.

:P

Just an Egg
    sorry i could not reply yesterday, it was sunday and all atores are closed here. am going now to get the medicine will reply after sometime.

Just an Egg

Help

Thank you all for this forum, very informative!!! I've been on for about a week and have learned a ton,, thank you.

I'm hoping for some advice. I've been reading alot about de-worming. I have a 125gall with 12 beautiful Discus. 5 of them have been hiding and one had cloudy eyes. I treated with metro-nitrasol (spelling?) and all but 2 have come out of it quite well and look great (even the cloudy eye'd one).

2 of them are still hiding and won't eat. From this forum, I'm guessing it's capillaria (spelling?) Which should be treated with Levamisol????

I tried this with a mix for the food,,,, none will eat it. They just spit it out. The 2 that are sick won't go near it. So, upon further investigation, through this site, I thought about treating the tank (no quaretine tank, I'll will get one).

I checked with the local vet clinic for levminsole and they referrred me to fleet farm. Which I purchased Levamisol HydroChloride. Is this the stuff I want???? What does the HydroChloride mean or stand for??

Thank you for any and all advice,, especially if it's good advice .
    Mark

Mark, yes that's the stuff you need. The dose rate is 1 ml per 7 litres of water.

If you're going to dose in the community tank, don't forget to make allowances for gravel and driftwood when calculating the water volume.

It's a once only dose, and change the water after 2 days. If your fish have worms, they will pass them in that time.

Just an Egg
    You guys/girls are amazing on your responses!!!! Thank you for your information. With that formula 1ml per 7 litres I will medicate the tank (125gallons) 6ml (considering decorations)??? Then change the water after 2 days??

Thank you ladyred.

I hope to be informative and instrumental to this site in the future.

Don't count on it though,,, I am Polish. :P :P :P :P
    Mark

Just an Egg
    Is a 30% water change enough??? If it's not,,, can I do another 30% after 2 more days??? I can get about 15 gallons a day out of my RO system.
    Mark

Mark, a 30% water change will be fine.

If you give me the dimensions of your tank, I'll work out the dose for you.

Just an Egg
    Thanks Ladyred. It is 4 feet long,, 2 feet deep,, and 2 feet high.

You are the bomb!!
    Mark