Just an Egg

gill flukes help needed

hi guys i just recently purchased a pair of turks.
    and noticed that my other pair the male was only breathing through 1 gill then i realised the other male also recently started breathing through 1 gill well i only just noticed it. the female seemed to be breathing through both. i just used aqua master fluke and tapeworm 100mg tablets treated them for 2 days cleaned the filter and did a 50% wc

now 1 male is better but 1 male is still bad and the female has started to breath through 1 gill. i will do a followup treatment on wed.. is this normal? am i going to loose the pair?

the male seems to be ok but the female is darker than normal but not too dark just darkish.. they seem to be breathing 2 beats a second compared to my now better 1 breath per 1second.

do they usually get better after 1 treatment or what?
    any help would be great...

San Merah Discus

Re: gill flukes help needed

now 1 male is better but 1 male is still bad and the female has started to breath through 1 gill. i will do a followup treatment on wed.. is this normal?
    Just do daily W/C for now. And yes, do the follow up treatment.

am i going to loose the pair?
    Only God knows ^^

do they usually get better after 1 treatment or what?
    Some disease can get better after 1 treatment, but sometimes it dont. Depending on how bad the infection is.

Is it possible for you to post up some pictures ? It might help to give further advice.

HTH

Medium Discus

fish

How did you clean the filter?

Is an ammonia spike possible?

G

Wrigglers
    It could be gill flukes causing this, and these can be very difficult to deal with. It could also be related to water quality. Ph too high may irritate already inflamed gills & cause a lot of mucus build up - in which gill flukes find protection.
    I say all this, because a while back I had big problems with what appeared to be gill flukes. I let my pH come on down to 6.5 or below for a prolonged period & treated a number of times with the aquamaster stuff.
    Haven't had any problems since & ph is now at about 7.1.

Just an Egg
    thanks guys, i did the follow up treatment and have been treating them with melafix just to de stress them and take away the pain for a few days.
    they are doing fine now and are all eating ang getting back to there old selves, so they are out of the danger zone now.

cheers for the help
    Jamie

Wrigglers
    Personally, I don't like melafix with discus fish. I have used it in the past & it has either done nothing or perhaps worse.