Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Medium Discus

Ordered my new tank yesterday

I ordered my new tank yesterday. It's a 48x24x24 with overflow for sump (450lts or 120 gallons).
    I got an unstained pine stand 800mm high, cover glass, foam base, tank and sump for $705. I've put it on layby so should be picking it up in about 2mths. I was originally going to build my own sump but decided that the spare tank I had was going to be to small. I worked out the costs to build the sump I wanted was $50 tank, $100 bio balls, $10 silicone, $20 plumbing from tank to sump and my time of course which I have very little.
    Mentone sold me one for $260 complete with bio balls and plumbing so I got it. It's very similar to the picture kalebjarrod posted on my other post except a little longer and I was told it's good enough to do a 8x2x2 tank so it's a little of an overkill for the 4x2x2.
    I'm going to use this tank to raise fry to about 5-6cm in size.
    Would anybody have a rough idea how many discus I can grow to that size without overloading the tank?
    I know it's generally about 1 adult discus for every 10 gallons but I'm not sure about young discus.

Thanks.. Oscar

hay good buy Chris,

did you gat a pump for that price and is the plumbing installed?

post pics that would be nice.

as for numbers of fry, i'm a one tank man at the moment never had to study the fry thing as yet.

soon i hope.....................................
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Just an Egg
    where from??
    nick

Medium Discus
    Happydiscus I got it from Mentone aquarium in Mentone, Melbourne.

kalebjarrod, no it doesn't come with a pump so that'll be another $70+ to spend.
    It does come with the plumbing connections from the tank to sump but I'll have to put it together.
    When I get it I'll post some pics.

Oscar

how big a pump are you planning on useing?

i'm glad you'll get the fun of putting it together, thats half the fun of setting up another tank. Plus if somthing goes wrong later you understand how it went together.

i somtimes get more excited about seting up tanks than i do about the fish i keep...... somtimes
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

how big a pump are you planning on useing?

i'm glad you'll get the fun of putting it together, thats half the fun of setting up another tank. Plus if somthing goes wrong later you understand how it went together.

i somtimes get more excited about seting up tanks than i do about the fish i keep...... somtimes
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Medium Discus
    I'll be using a pump that pumps between 2500lt to 3000lt and hour as that's what's been recommended. Do you think that'll be large enough for the tank. As for putting it all together it should be fun as long as nothing goes wrong but it seems easy enough I think .

Oscar

i calculated nothing less than a 1700ltrs per hour.

i'd go 3000ltrs per hour though this is about as big as you can go without blowing tons of cash and i always like to oversize.

bit of a "tim the tool man tailor" in that fashion

whaa hahahahaha......................
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Medium Discus
    Yeah I was thinking 3000lt would be ideal. I'm like you I'ld rather go larger than smaller just to be on the safe size.

Oscar

yeah bigger is better,

you get some good 3000lt pumps for $ 65.00 -$70.00 these days.

its cheaper to buy two of them than it is to buy one and a automated protective switch to shut it down in case of a problem.

that makes me laugh

pics when ready please
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!