Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Water Parameters

Just wondering what people consider are the ideal water parameters for breeding discus.

Temp = ?
    pH = ?
    gH = ?
    kH = ?
    Other = ?

Barrie

temp 30C
    pH 5.0
    gH low
    kH low
    lots of water changes and good solid feeding as often as you van manage it, if you do big changes with watr at 28C (2C drop) it seems to trigger a spawn, always do a fluke treatment before you allow the discus to breed.

Just an Egg
    Thanks Illusn. I would imagine that the pH would have to be lowered very slowly to those levels. Mine is currently around the 6.5. But good news I do have some fry on the sides of parents at the moment.
    Thanks
    Barrie

Just an Egg
    My favourite pair. Checkerboard Pidgeonbloods with 1 week old free swimming fry. Now taking brine shrimp, thats why they are off the parents sides for a short while.

I would seriously remove the cone and guard, no need for anything else in the tank now (except sponge filter of course). Also the tank looks dirty, get some kitchen paper towel and wipe the sides down to get them clean at next water change. You need to minmise places where bacteria are going to grow. Also, because you have the cone in the tank still, see how the fry are around it, whereas they should be buzzing around and feeding constantly off the parents. This can lead to poor size/growth rates even at this early stage if life, imo it can lead to stunting, this is quite a critical time.

Steve
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Thanks Steve, I will remove the cone and clean the glass. I agree it needs some attention but I just didn't want to disturb them too much in case they ate the fry. You obviously think that will be OK??
    Also I had just fed brine shrimp so the fry had come off the sides of the parents and were chasing the shrimp around.

no problem Barrie
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Correct me if I am wrong guys but if he had a UV in there the tank sides wouldnt be dirty right ?

A UV would certainly cut down on algae and some nasties, but this is a stand alone tank with only a sponge filter because of the fry. A UV can work well in conjunction with external filter systems, but not in this case

hth

Steve
    Why me ?

Quote Originally Posted by 1cleverdiscus
    Correct me if I am wrong guys but if he had a UV in there the tank sides wouldnt be dirty right ?
    UV will only kill algae / bacteria which is suspended in the water column. My experiance is it doesn't do a lot to prevent the sort of algae that grows on the glass. Maybe it slows the growth, I'm not sure if this sort of algae reproduces by releasing spores into the water that settle elsewhere or simply by cell division. Bacteria is similar I beleive, some float free and some are "sticky" so don't get exposed to the UV radiation.