Thread: mix discus

Hi, I'm New Here!

mix discus

hey guys. first time with disucs.
    i went and bought
    3 blue dimonds
    2 red snakeskins
    and 1 blue turk
    at the moment they are all in the same tank.
    should i just keep them in that tank n let them pair off or move them so each type are with there own. or let them be and if they pair with another type let it happen or just seperate them n put them with there own type later?
    thanks

5 is a pretty good number to have in a tank it helps spread the aggression a bit.

What size tank? How big are the discus?
    Cheers Kath

SnakeSkin Discus
    Whether you seperate them depends:

a) Are you looking at breeding them and then selling on the fry?
    b) Do you plan on having a display only tank?

If the answer is the b) then leave them be. If the answer was a) then I'd suggest seperating the different strains. Crossing strains more often then not results in babies with poor broken barring and ugly colours. Therefore its best to breed the same strains together.

If this is your first time with discus I would make sure you know how to look after them first. Leave them all together. You have not said what enviroment you have put them into tell us more please.

As Mac has said there are options. In my opinion 'A' should be the last thing you should be thinking of right now, too many people think they can make a swift buck, but it just does not happen, or the market is flooded with rubbish fish.

What size are the fish? lets see some pics

H
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    i intend on breeding them i was just going to leave them in the tank together for now and let them grow up. they are all about 6-8cm. i intend on selling the fry if they have any so if they pair up with a diffferent type i could just seperate the pair and put each one with mopre of there own type? or force pair i have read been mentioned. at the moment that tanks 4x18x18. just with bits of annubis and driftwook and few plants. can get pictures and put them on tonight.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    these are the photo the person ibought them off had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails discus_206.jpg  

Hi, I'm New Here!
    my is the blue dimond to the left plus 2 others u cant see. the 2 snakeskins in front view i think and the blue turk to the bottom right. im pretty sure thats my ones .

SnakeSkin Discus
    Sorry I did jump the gun slightly. Just a few questions that I should have asked:

- What filtration do you have?

- Have you got the required test kits (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, gh, kh etc) It is the first four that are important the last two are just ideal to have just so you know.

- Is the tank bare bottom? Ideally you want a bare bottom tank or a thin layer of fine gravel or sand if the tank is in a display location.

- What are you feeding them?

- Water change schedule - how often, how much and how are you conditioning the water?

- Other tankmates. Are there any? If so what?

I think that will do for now. :P

Hi, I'm New Here!
    it has a very fine laver or sand just enough to cover the glass with few pieces of annubis and plants. yes have test kits. and have a cannister plus sponge filters. there are brisltlenose. um feeding bring shrimp and flake and blood worms. i have a 200L drum of water i fill weekly and put my chemicals in it so i can pre heat the water and let it sit for a week. so water change about 1 or 2 times a week. i have only had affricans prior to this and that was sufficient water change. for discus to i need more often?

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    , too many people think they can make a swift buck, but it just does not happen, or the market is flooded with rubbish fish.
    Did you read this bit??

Your tank looks very over stocked, not good with your water change regime.
    Good luck!!
    Why me ?