Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Wrigglers

A. baenschi spawn ?! (cross fingers :)

maybe maybe maybe....

Yesterday afternoon, 30 litre water change (in 180l tank) with 20ml of tetra blackwater extract and 4 litres of rainwater and a minor furniture rearrangement. Followed by a tiny feed of some live mosquito larvae.

Female A. baenschi went bright yellow, the black markings became so intense she had a black rim on the edge of the caudal fin, and started seriously investigating the pot in her corner of the tank. She now chases the other female all the way to the far end of the tank and quickly drives off any other apisto that comes near. Ive seen the male in the vicinity and they did a tiny bit of displaying, but otherwise he's back down the other end of the tank. I have seen him go into the pot.

Today she's still in and out of the pot and guarding her territory. I got them some live brine shrimp as well, and will feed that again tomorrow morning.

Very excited but trying not to be too hopeful *laf*

The female A. trifasciata has gone lemon yellow as well, looks fat and her ovipositor is close to descending, but damnit she wants the same corner of the tank as the female baenschi.. (stupid girl!)

I better start thinking about fry food. and a second tank

its so much easier to discuss these things when there are wrigglers present

steph
    Current fish: A. baenschi, A. agassizi tefe, A. panduro, M ramirezi
    Past Fish: A. agassizi, A. gibbiceps, A. iniridae, A. trifasciata, A. agassizi alenquer,

Medium Discus
    Congratulation Steph. The male I've bought recently isn't quite ready for fatherhood yet, but getting close (he's fatten up and beating all other apistos away (including the fat female beanschi) except for the two panduro (he knows who not to pick on).

It sounds like you really need that additional tank on the dining table

Maybe it's time to have a chat with Dave again.

Thomas.

Wrigglers
    Good news so far, the female is still rigorously guarding her pot and the male seems to have joined in the act as well.

Anyone bred these before ? or have any doco on them? Specifically time to free swimming ?

I'ld like to pull some free swimmers - I like to leave a few with the female to keep her happy but also would like to raise some littlies. Sounds like they are becoming common alraedy around here!

Cheers

Steph

PS: Must go order some fry food and bbs !
    Past Fish: A. agassizi, A. gibbiceps, A. iniridae, A. trifasciata, A. agassizi alenquer,

Larvae
    Well done Steph. Hope you get a good batch.

My male is really colouring up well but not showing any interest in the females. He's getting some amazing colouration over his body.

p.

Medium Discus
    After notice the pair has been courting this morning, it is confirmed that the pair has done the deed during the day and I can see eggs (some of them) inside the cave/pot.

Compared to other more slender species (trifasciata, bitaeniata, agassizi, iniridae), the female remains rather plum after the spawn. I wasn't certain until I had a peek with a torch and noticed the eggs inside.

The only thing to do now is to wait........

Thomas.

Wrigglers
    Congrats Thomas

Nothing happened with my spawn although the female remains quite dominant with fairly intense black colours.

Cheers

Steph

Medium Discus
    well good news doesn't last.....

Had another look this morning, those eggs that I can spot last night are no longer there. But the female is still guarding, and I cannot see what else is on the roof of the cave.

Will need to wait for a few more days to be certain, but not looking good at the moment.

Thomas.

Medium Discus
    Well done you two..hope things turn out ok.

Mike

Medium Discus
    Spoke too soon, the female has cleaned up the eggs. Although she's still staying inside the cave, pretty sure eggs are gone as she's not as serious in driving the male out of her sight.

Not exactly sure of the reason, will tweak the water again.

Thomas.

Medium Discus
    Better news this time - the pair spawned again on Thursday and this morning I can see wigglers

Finally - things are hatchings.......

Will try to take a shot at the new family later.

Thomas.