Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Medium Discus

how airstones work

I've read on many forums about the use of airstones to increase the oxygen levels in a tank. Many people are of the impression that the bubbles the airstone/pump combo produces are actually the factor which increases the oxygen levels in your tank. This is actually not so. In standing water without any movement at all, the oxygen diffusion takes place naturally in only the top 5 centimeters. A filter which takes water from the bottom of the tank and re-introduces it at the top causes a roll-over effect in a tank if the outlet current goes along the top of the water. A spray bar further enhances this effect. Hang-on filters are good too, because the sheet of water which occurs in most brands takes up oxygen very effectively, and if the filter is strong enough to roll the water over, airation is also achieved.
    Now we come to the humble, yet very effective airstone! Airstones will create water movement which takes the water from the bottom of the tank to the surface, where the oxygen absorbtion takes place, creating another instance of the aforementioned roll-over effect. The air diffused into the water by the stream of bubbles the airstone creates is actually rather minimal and has a neglible effect on the water's oxygen absorbtion.
    Hope that helps gain an insight into what airstones actually do and how water is effectively oxygenated.

cheers,
    Chris

Larvae
    Thanks for that explanation - can you recommend a spray-bar at all?
    I havent been able to find one on the main sponsors sites?
    Much appreciated

Medium Discus
    Thanks Chris...that is good value....Jim
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

A great Sticky for Discus keeping 101!

Thanks for the article Chris!

cheers
    Ben

Medium Discus
    RichVic:
    a spray bar usually comes with your canister filters. basically it's just a tube with holes in it that's connected to the filter outlet. Look in your local hardware for rigid non-toxic plastic tubing and drill some small gauge holes in it and seal off one end. insert the other end into your filter outlet tube, and voila! there's your spraybar. I was trained as a scientific glassblower, so I make mine out of glass if I need. handy for all sorts of fittings, actually

Well done Chris, that's a great article.

Feel free to write on any subject you wish. We're always grateful to receive articles written by members. :P

I'll put all these great articles together into a new forum soon, for easy reference.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    hi.. i'm kinda new here in this forum.. and i was just wondering.. do the bubbles that the air stone produce affect the water hardness of the water?

Hi aj and welcome to the forum. The short answer to that question is "no". However the long answer is that sometimes the type of stone used to make the airstone can leech calcium into the water, and slightly increase the hardness.

If your water is hard, then I suggest you have a look at other things in your tank, like gravel or rocks.

A stimple test of the water from your tap, compared to the water from your tank, will show if something in your tank is turning your water harder.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    thanks ladyred.. i actually have a bear bottom tank for my discus.. but i placed tones of driftwood and a few java ferns... but thanks for your tip...

Just an Egg
    thanks for that post! alot of the things that might seem obvious
    to the veterans are a huge info boost for us newbies.
    thanks wickedglass!

i have 2 quick Q's?

where is the best place to put the spray bar? on the water edge,above slightly,below slightly?

i have 2 aqua one 1200's for my 6ft tank and my tank is at the setup nearly there exiting stage should i use both srpay bars or 1 with spray bay and the other with duck bill???

thanks man