Thread: Tank Water

Hi, I'm New Here!

Tank Water

Hi guys,

I currently have a tank with some severums and angels in it. I am placing those fish in another tank and wanting to use this tank for discus.

Could I use the same water for the discus or is it better just to drain the whole thing and start the whole cycling period again before i put the discus in?

Thanks

Pete

Do you know the hardness and pH of the tank now???

If the tank is cycled, and the previous fish were and are healthy I dont see why not, I would probably do a 50%-75% water change at first, and lightly clean the filtration media, so as not to kill off any of the nitrifying bacteria, then you should be good to go...

anybody else have any thoughts on this???

Yeah i wouldnt use exaclty the same water but because cycling annoys the hell out of me id leave a small rim of water just above the gravel. Give you filter media a clean ie. sponges but just put anything like ceramic nodles or bio-balls in a bucket of water from the aquarium. Then after your finished put them back in, try not to scrub them at all this is where the bacteria grows. One other thing, might aswell give them aquarium walls a scrub whilst the tank is almost empty :P

Cheer
    Scott