Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

4 of my discus dead

I am still shocked and upset. I have had my 4 discus in my 54 gallon planted tank for over 2 years. Today i did a waterchange, and forgot to plug the filter back in until later that night when i found all of my discus dead. Is it because of the filter being off that they died? I also had one other fish in the tank that is not a discus but it survived. I want to know why my discus suddenly died.

Thanks guys

Larvae
    Did you check your water parameters? Give us the works, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, temp.. etc

Hi, I'm New Here!
    temp is 78-80

ammonia was .50 (Usually is at 0)
    nirtite 0
    Nitrate 0
    ph 6.4

Just an Egg
    i dont think the filter not being plugged in for a few hours would kill them that quick especially right after a water change.did you forget something else like to add dechlor?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I actually never add dechlor ( maybe thats the problem) and will start too now. I find it weird that they would all die at the same time and theyve been fine for 2= years. This is just way too weird.

sounds enviromental to me if they all just dropped dead after a wc, id be guessing chlorinr and ammonia in your tap water.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Maybe your right, but theyve been fine with this water for their entire lives. I am planning on getting new discus to repopulate the tank but i am scared they will die now.

Larvae
    Invest in some prime, or ammo-lock. Your not suppose to have any ammonia in your tank. So the ammonia itself could of been the cause. Sorry to hear about your loss. live and learn man.

Just an Egg
    get some prime or something similar and you should be fine it sounds like you have ammonia and chlorine im sure if your not on a well like was said in a 2 year old planted tank you should not show ammonia so it probably came from the tap

Hi, I'm New Here!
    yes, it must have been the water. Because i rechecked the ammonia today and its at
    0. Thanks guys for everything. This may be a dumb question but what is prime? Is that just a dechlorinator that they would sell at a pet store. Thanks everybody