Thread: PH Problem

Larvae

PH Problem

Hi I'm a ex-breeder from malaysia. After 13year I want start breeding again but in Oz this time. By the way, I've a 285ltr tank with 9 around 3" discus. Experiment with a Fluval 304 connect to a undergravel-filter,gravel plants tank, media in filter- fluval peat, MicroMec & noodle. Started 14 Nov with lime filter rain water. PH6.78. Have done a single water until 29Dec cos PH drop to 6.02. Done 10% water change, age tap wate,PH6.15 in tank after 2 days it gone down to 6 again. Amonia/Nitrite = 0

Welcome to the forum dachoo.

At this stage i would take the peat out of the cannister filter. (maybe replace with noodle).

See if this make much or any difference.

Ben

Larvae
    Hi Ben I just wonder if you know what PH would this particular peat stabilize. Thank Cos this is may experiment tank.Found everything here is so... diferent.

The constant flow of water over or through peat will reduce the general hardness in the water aswell as the PH.

Because of this the water will be some what unstable and a PH crash may occur.

Where abouts in Australia are you? and can you tell me what the General hardness or TDS (total disolved salts) are in your tank water as well as the water you use to water change.

Ben

Larvae
    This is the first time I use canister. I live in Canberra, As I mention the original water was filter rain water, then age tap water. The GH would around 2dGH or 35.8 ppm GH.

To my way of thinking that water is perfect for breeding. I would still be inclined to take out the peat and see what difference that makes.
    Keep us posted mate.

Ben

Larvae
    About two hour ago.I done a 12% water change, the blue diamiond & red melon seem to a be a bit upset.It look like they more sensitive to drop in temp. + increse in PH. PH was from 6.14 to 6.3, but very active now, they really like it when the PH between 6.3 -6.5. I will take out the peat, replace with bio-balls (the only I have on hand) & post in 2 days of the out come. Yes the water is perfect for breeding, but I don't think the pigeon bloodline would like the low PH too much( any commend) .still waiting for my tanks from sydney & then maybe the hurt for some pair.