14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bare Bottom

7 50.00%
  • Planted

7 50.00%

Thread: BB or Planted?

Hi, I'm New Here!

BB or Planted?

I not sure which wouldbe better for my Discus. I have eight 2-4in Discus in a 75 gall planted tank with UGV, overhead & canister filter. I want to speed up their growth... PLUS, I get lazy cleaning the gravel everyday, and doing partial WC, and trying to vacum out the uneaten food hidden in nooks and crannies. I'm planning to buy another 75 gall tank, keep it bare bottom and just put in my room. My room is air-conditioned though, because the ambient temp here is around 25C ( I can't stand the heat here!!!) and yes, I have a heater for my Discus tank. Would they grow faster if I keep them in a BB tank? or should I just leave my aquarium just the way it is?.... (I get tired of lookin at the same thing everyday...lol) Any more suggestions for my tank?...

Regards,
    Lexy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sv4000411.jpg  

i voted BB. it really depends what you want. do you want a nice discus display tank with plants and substrate which is fine for them - the discsu may not grow as big and probably wont be used for breeding.

or you can have a BB which some people will say it doesnt look anygood.... i have some potted plants in my BB tanks and i think it looks great. the discus will grow faster in BB, maintanence is much faster and easier and the fish generally are larger. BB usually carry less diseases aswell.

both are good but it depends what you want from your discus.....

HTH

David
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenpigeon
    i voted BB. it really depends what you want. do you want a nice discus display tank with plants and substrate which is fine for them - the discsu may not grow as big and probably wont be used for breeding.

or you can have a BB which some people will say it doesnt look anygood.... i have some potted plants in my BB tanks and i think it looks great. the discus will grow faster in BB, maintanence is much faster and easier and the fish generally are larger. BB usually carry less diseases aswell.

both are good but it depends what you want from your discus.....

HTH

David
    Thanks man! I've been keeping Discus for two months now... I already killed five but no regrets.. I always learn something from it though... Except that I'm nearly bankrupt!haha I can't afford too many Diskees. Am only a teenager who still depends on mom... The doggie-teary eyes always work though!

Regards

lol im a teenie bopper too mate lol

looks like you arent doing too bad by the looks of that tank good luck with ur discus and if u need any help post it up and ill help you as much as i can
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Hi, I'm New Here!
    lol Cool man! I viewed your Album, your Discus are Awesome! and THEY'RE BIG!!! Just wonderin though, do you sell discus? You seem to be very experienced with this kinda stuff...

Regards,
    Lexy

i am not selling discus yet. i have only recently started on my fish room so it might be a few months before am selling fish.

i have lots of experience with discus and a few other fish but lack the funds a little bit so i cant put what i know into practice that much...... im getting there thoagh.

cheers
    David
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Medium Discus

main points

Hey Everyone,

I think what GP said about BB tanks being the better option is true. But I would have to say that I doubt having the BB tank in of itself makes fish grow bigger. I think it is more likely to be the ease of which poo and decaying food are removed, leading to improved water conditions which gives better growth. However, the tank will look dirty at most times due to no substrate hiding poo and food at the bottom of the tank - this would require frequent cleaning.

So BB is likely to force you into cleaning your tank more often which is better for the fish within it.

My vote goes to BB.

G

sorry i ment fish usually grow bigger in BB

because there is more space without gravel and cleaner water they usually get bigger. sorry for the miss understanding.
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy