Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Medium Discus
    Egg Associated Inflammation

supposed degeneration of egg's that are not expelled properly
    not known as to why it occurs so no treatment suggested yet

i guess just another reason for firm abdo and external lesions

here is a photo from a zebrafish research page http://zfin.org/zirc/disMan/Disease_.../EAI_ulcer.jpg

Clinical Signs and Gross Pathology. Female zebrafish typically present with an enlarged or distended abdomen. The ovaries grossly appear as a solid, tumor-like mass in the visceral cavity. In several cases the mass will cause adhesion to the wall of the visceral cavity, and ultimately a free raft of scar tissue will be extruded through the body wall and skin of the fish. This results in a large ulcer with a whitish center on the lateral flank of the fish.
    Control and Treatment. The precise cause of EAI is unknown. Because abnormal egg retention is a suspected cause, we recommend timely spawning of females. Holding males and females together may also aid in preventing abnormal egg retention. Striping egg bound females has been tried, but apparently is not reliable for curing the problem.

cut and pasted from the above site
    sounds a bit like an endometritis type situation for women
    the best way to rule this out would be to laugh at my efforts and tell me it is a male fish
    andrew

Thanks guys.

I have finished the Metro treatment, no real change, however the fish has not worsened in any way.

I am now on Day 1 of the treatment method that Andrew Soh suggested, so fingers crossed that may give some results.

In regards to the egg retention thing, I am 75% sure he is a boy... lol

However I did see him fertilise eggs from one of my other fish, but they didnt get to wriggler stage (they did appear to be fertile) - (the eggs were eaten due to the 17 other large Discus in the same tank, 6 pairs, & 5 strays or gigalos... )

What a great forum this is. I just love this place. Thanks Andrew and Andrew for your great advice and your willingness to help, and to Ben and Junior for adding your thoughts too. This must be the most helpful forum on the web.

Proteus, we all hope you have a successful outcome with this fish. Good Luck.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Red, as I have said to you in private, I pretty well know my stuff when it comes to illnesses etc, but this had me stumped.

And to recieve the advice and assistance so far is mindblowing, not only from an appreciative perspective, but with this being available to others, it may just save a few fish from getting worse or dying.

thank you...

Blue Diamond Discus
    GOOD LUCK Proteus with your fish hope he comes through this and after this is hopefully all over will that fish have a scar were that bacteria infection was or whatever it is ?

Hope it all goes well with him
    Cheers,

Rick

Wrigglers
    Hi all,

This is from Andrew to Andrew.

Though the zebra fish has an ulcer, the true cause is unknown as it is only a suspected egg related problem. In my view, the zebra fish is caused by first, heavy protozoan infection (maybe costia)...followed by secondary infection (possible aeromonas hydrophila). When the female is loaded with eggs, there is a tendency for the scales around where the eggs are to be pushed outward allowing primary infestation of the skin to be readily accessible.

As I have dissected many mature discus of both sexes, the milt sag and the ovary is positioned all the way back...even more back than the anus. But from the discus photos, the damaged area is nearer to the pectoral fin....

This concludes it has nothing to do with the eggs.

If my method is tried, please do not save the salt or the medication or underdose......pleaseeeeeee. A hundred thanks...

Take care,
    Andrew
    'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    Author
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e.php?ref=home

Medium Discus
    cheers
    i have a 1 hour , it was university and i may have skipped it , theoretical knowledge of fish anatomy from the early 90's
    so the suggestion of egg's being no where near the problem is interesting to learn

and i have never kept discus , i just know some medicine for dog's and cats and keep fish so this is a nice learning curve for me

andrew

If my method is tried, please do not save the salt or the medication or underdose......pleaseeeeeee. A hundred thanks...
    Dosed exactly as per instructed, maybe a fraction more

Wrigglers
    Thank you Proteus

Andrew
    'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    Author
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e.php?ref=home

Update: Things have improved marginally, although he is still very swollen, with some skin irritation.

I have treated as per Andrews recommendations twice now.

He is eating and otherwise looks ok (if you ignore the gut and one pectoral fin).

He has been getting daily water changes, with some salt added and the pH kept at approx 6.4-6.5