Larvae

are discus smart?

hello there,
    somthing different i notice to my pair. as last week i gave them beef heart mix for the first time since had them for about 1 and half months. since i got them all i fed them was the colour bits nothing else. now i gave them beef hear mix and they refuse to eat it. its been a week now like that. as i show them the colour bits container , they go nuts to get colour bits, but refuse beef hear mix, so what i did was get a empty colour bit container that has the pic of discus on, i put beef hear mix in it in the kitchen, then i go to the pair show them the container, they go nuts hungry, then its beef heart mix i put in the tank, they demolished it! humm if i show them beef heart they refuse tho. whats going on with those discus lol
    ,,, ben

Ben, I love that story, especially the part where you show them the colour bits container and they eat the beef heart LOL

They are either the smartest, or the most gullible discus around.

Either way, it's a fantastic story, thanks for sharing. :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    LOL Ben! How funny is that. My discus are the same--they definately go nuts when they see the yellow Sera container.

Claire.

that is funny as!!!!

my discus do get excited when i get out the tetra bits container. i guess they can make out and remember certain shapes and colours.

my discus definately know when it is me at the tank. they couldn't care less what i do at the tank but when a stranger (my wife...hahhaa) walks up to the tank they become timid and shy.
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Just an Egg
    Yeah that's what I love about discus and cichlids more generally--the fact that they seem to recognise their owners. It's definately nice to come home to. They remind me of excited dogs actually, the way they zoom up to the front of the tank when they haven't seen me in a while. Their entire bodies seem to waggle with glee! My fish also hang out at the front corner of the tank and stare at us when we are watching TV of an evening, and I swear that sometimes when I make eye contact with one of the pigeon bloods it shivers at me as if to say come and pay me attention (or give me more food LOL)!!

Claire.