Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rocks?

Larvae
    Maybe test the water in the cup before and after i would be more looking at ph rather than amonia and nitrates.

Wrigglers
    hi guys what it mean if it fizzs its akline and makes your water hard like limestone crushed mable etc

Just an Egg
    Oh yeah forgot to mention that when I put rocks in and had no trouble, I did do the vinegar fizz test--there was no reaction which meant the rocks were safe to put in.

Claire.

Blue Diamond Discus
    good to know

have you got a pic of the rocks in ya tank?
    Cheers,

Rick

Derek, soak the rocks in some salty water. The salt will kill any fresh water nasties, then give them a good rinse in plain water. Check the pH in your tank for a few days after you add the rocks, and see if it's making a difference to your water.

So long as the rocks are smooth, and water worn, they should be fine. Sharp rocks are not a good idea with discus.

BTW, the vinegar test is an old fashioned way of testing rocks. Normal vinegar is too weak an acid to produce much of a reaction. You actually need something stronger than that. Just checking the water for an increase in pH and hardness is a more reliable test. :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    Mulisha, this is the type of rocks I have in my tank--as you can see, they are well water worn.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rock.jpg  

Blue Diamond Discus
    Yeah that's looks nice i seem to always find very bad rocks that leak stuff into my tank LOL so now i go for driftwood
    Cheers,

Rick

Larvae
    hi there , i know a beach where absolutly plenty of those rocks in victoria, the closest to melb as i know , go to flinders beach in the mornington peninsula, it is salt water there but the beach is coved of those sort rocks, the salt water would kill all the germs then u would have to clean it very well out , possible boil it like what i did. get a big pice glass for the back of tank, then use those gravel as in the pic as electric molecular pasted, use silicone and then paste it on the glass , stick those rocks on then finish the project with the gravel as electric molecular pic to cover all the silicone.and put some plants on too, i mean fake ones,( can use real plants but let the project dry out first) as when every thing dries then u give it another wash then, stick it on a angle, about 60 to 80 degree on the rear of your tank, thats the cheapest way i know how to get a good look background but to get that rocks u got to do a bit of driving,
    ,,, ben

Just an Egg
    Hehe pirahna--it's funny you should mention Flinders--I actually got my rocks from Cape Schank, just near Flinders.

Oh and Merry Xmas y'all!!

Claire.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Have you considered petrified wood? I have always found it to be quite inert due to the high silicon content and cut and polished or au naturale it looks great.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.