Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rocks?

Hi, I'm New Here!

rocks?

hello all! i got a few rocks from the creek near my house that are realy nice. i couldnt find anything i liked at the LFS . anyway is it safe to put these in my tank? and if so what should i do with them to make sure they are clean

Just an Egg
    Hey Derek,

I got some rocks myself from a beach recently. I just soaked them for a couple of days then added them and nothing bad happened. You could try scrubbing them--others might tell you to scrub them with diluted bleach or something, but I stay away from products like that. I think you would be right just to soak them for a little while then add them...

Claire.

there is a test you can do to see if they are unfit for your tank.

what you have to so is give your rocks a good scrub. then get some vinegar and pour a small amount onto the rocks. if the vinegar fizzes then that means that it has reacted with something on the rock. anyway i know that if the vinegar fizzes it means u can use them

HTH
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

SnakeSkin Discus
    what you have to so is give your rocks a good scrub. then get some vinegar and pour a small amount onto the rocks. if the vinegar fizzes then that means that it has reacted with something on the rock. anyway i know that if the vinegar fizzes it means u can use them
    Hmmm...i thought it was the other way around...i thought if the vinnager fizzes u cant use them...can anyone else back this up?

Blue Diamond Discus
    Yeah i think if the vinger fizzes means there is like something in the rock so if it doesn't fizz means it like sealed and nothing can get in or out

I'm not 100% sure..
    Cheers,

Rick

Larvae
    I think you will find if the vinegar fizzes then it will alter the Ph (bost it up) of your tank and as we all know that is bad.

HTH

Hi, I'm New Here!
    fiz or not to fiz that is the question! what i was actualy going to do is scrub the crap out of em soak em in water for a couple days and test the water they where in for amonia,nitrates,etc..... how does that sound???

Blue Diamond Discus
    Yeah your right i think it contains a KH boosted in it if it fizzes :P
    Cheers,

Rick

well as i understand it if the vinegar fizzes a reaction is being caused. in there is no fiz then as Rick said it means the rock is sealed. if it fizzed then i would not use them. whether it is a KH boost or anything like that. if you are unsure then dont use them. better safe then sorry!!!!!
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Blue Diamond Discus
    your right about that LOL i added rocks that fizzed becuase i was a noob back then and had like hardest water ever and ph of like 9.0 LOL

Good old Jewel Chiclid LOL they leave threw anything..
    Cheers,

Rick