Thread: What to keep

Just an Egg

What to keep

Im thinking about buying some young discus but im not sure what I should keep.
    Can anybody tell me what is good for a beginner and give me some names of some breeders with good/cheap stock in sydney

cheers

Hi Gotti. There are so many good healthy fish out there now, it's simply a matter of choosing a colour you like, and go with that. Perhaps start off with something like red or blue turquoise. Marlboro reds always look spectacular in a tank, as do blue diamonds. From there you could progress to some of the more expensive strains, like snakeskins, spotted or goldens, maybe albinos, whatever takes your fancy.

You'll find a number of members with fish for sale in the classified section of this forum. Just remember that juvenile fish have more stringent water and feeding requirements than mature fish, so if you can start with adult fish, you may find them more robust.

Good luck with your search.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus

fish

Hi mate,

If you are thinking about taking the plunge with discus - then go with the less expensive strains to begin with, since you may find that disease takes hold of a few of them. So blue diamonds, turks and possibly white swans which are all fairly cheap if bought at a small size (2 inch). To go even cheaper - try to find a breeder/ADA member on the forum and they should be able to direct you the right way.

G