Hi, I'm New Here!

Tank in a music room?

This is sort of an oddball question, but I'm hoping someone might have an answer.

Let me preface this with saying that The wife & I will be moving into our new home at the end of the month. My wife teaches music, and the tank will be located in her music room. She will occasionally have students come in for lessons, as well as her going in to play her piano & french horn, among other various instruments.

My question is, how will the Discus react from the vibrations or sound from the music? Will it harm them, or scare them? In the tanks I've had in the past, I never remember them reacting differently to a loud tv or radio being on, but with the tank being directly in the music room, I was wondering if anyone had an experience with something like this. Thanks.
    -humblebyday

Medium Discus

room

Hi Again,

Personally, I have a fairly large stereo in my room (around 700w) which I use fairly regularly and I havent seen any adverse problem. What I would worry about is the traffic level coming in through the room and fast rapid movements are known to startle discus. But music should be ok - just be careful.

G

Medium Discus
    hehe i have a 12" pioneer sub gettin 120wRMS and 2x B&W satellites gettin simmilar power each.. I find that its mostly bass that bothers my fish....

Im a dj, living at home, so i cant really help startling my babies occasionally :P
    Benny

Wrigglers

No Problems

I had 20 plus tanks of discus in my yacht shed and my brother plays in a rock/heavy metal band. They rehearse in the shed. fish were a bit edgy at first but then didn't care. did notice they weren't breeding as often, so I kicked the boys out over summer/breeding season. The drums and stage amps put out as much racket as you would expect from a heavy metal band!
    Wild discus only please. Or bring back the old strains from the 80's.

Wrigglers
    I have one of my tanks in the TV viewing area of the house. I have a fairly substantial home theatre connected to it. I personally haven't recognised any untoward behaviour however my wife said she noticed them looking not entirely comfortable back when we first mooved into the house (They'd never been positioned so close to the TV before).

She hasn't commented on it lately though so i'll take it as they've gotten used to it and aren't jumping or darting any more.

Like G-1000 said, i'd be looking into the trafic and movements as well, but i'd say they'll probably become accustomed to it.
    OSCAR

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.
    -humblebyday

Just an Egg
    kick your wife out.
    Tell her to go blow her horn elsewhere

^ hehehehehe that solves everything
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy