Hi, I'm New Here!

Purchasing Quality Fish

Hello, while I'm not new to Discus, I'm having trouble finding quality fish. I have read that in looking for quality Discus, you want to look for a good round shape (i.e. rounded fins) bright red eyes, and accentuated vertical bars.

Alot of the fish I have seen lately do not have any or only some of these qualities. I assume it is from breeding of inferior fish. Is there a registered standard for Discus like there are for dogs? Also, does anyone know of a reputable breeder in the greater Houston Texas area? Thanks.
    -humblebyday

Medium Discus

fish

Hi Mate,

Im not sure in your situation as to where you can get them from - but I would say that you should probably look at going via an importer and NOT a local fish shop. This is because via - importer the fish are much better quality and are younger (so can grow bigger). Although if you do go to a LFS make sure you go to a reputable one with people who know what theyre doing.

G

Medium Discus
    check www.simplydiscus.com its american based discus forums. you will find lots of information regarding breeders and sellers there

Contact one of the users here danDman

He is local to you

http://www.gulfcoastdiscus.com

Just an Egg
    Hi G- 1000

Just picking up from our texas mate but putting the same question to you but in Sydney where would you suggest I look.

I havent had discus for a few years but my new tank is not far off being ready for them. So I want to start the hunt for its new residents, I'm on the North Shore and all the shops round here have a pretty poor selection. I'm cool to jump in the car anywhere in sydney.

From what Ive read SLS seem to be the go but do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks ~~ rupes88

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.
    -humblebyday