Thread: Tips on moving

Just an Egg

Tips on moving

Alright, so the day Ive been dreading is ever near. I have to move house & need some tips on the best way to move my tank. All advice is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Depending on the size of the tank, and the distance you are moving, there are several things you can do to make the move easier.

First, get yourself some of those large plastic tubs to carry some of your water to the new house. You'll also need some large plastic bags and a styrene box to safely carry your fish, so time to get friendly with your local fish store.

Try to organise things so that your tank is the last thing in the house to be moved, and the first thing to be unloaded at the other end. Most tanks, (within reason) can be moved with a small amount of water and most of the substrate intact. Plants and driftwood should be carried separately, with the plants in plastic bags to prevent them drying out.

I'm sure lots of our members will come up with some other hints.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

I have the same problem

i came up with a great tip

sell the tanks!

i didn't take there advice mind you

i am going to take out some empty tanks, set them up earlier (3 days before but you will need to get your soliciter to ok this) then move out your fish, let them settle

then setup your dispaly tanks again

thats the only way i can do it, and as you can see it ani't any easyier LOL
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Blue Diamond Discus
    when i moved what i did was i left all the filters in the tank water so that the bacteria didn't die and did what LR said with the plants and fish anoher tip was i got another tank set up at the new house and moved the fish into there while i got the bigger tank set up with plants etc

HTH

GoodLuck
    Cheers,

Rick

Wrigglers
    yea i just got big plastic tub, about 500 litress and fill half will tank watre and new water and move the fish into that at new house then moved the whole house and setup it when i could, fish where in big tub for about 3 weeks, fine plants and everything