Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

What next ... tail sinking

Excellent sticky ...

We had four discuss with plague ... thought it was white spot and 2 died before I saw this thread ... treated as you said ... one more died but one has survived...

We put him back in the main tank (which has only has an albino rainbow shark in it and a black tetra)

Discus has been eating a little but nor regularly. ph is 6.4.

Now he seems to be swimming at a 15 degree nose up angle. He seems to "sink" and then works his way up again.

Any ideas on what is going on?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Just a question, I am in my 3rd day of treating this myself. How long do people advise to treat for?

Thanks in advance.

Frenchy
    One thing I know, & that is I know nothing.

Just finished my 2nd week of treating this disease and i am pleased to say i didn't loose a single fish. i treated for 7 days as David described ( couldn't get my ph below 6.5 but othwise, just as he has outlined). after that time all fish had regained color, no excess slime, damaged fins starting to regrow. Then as all the fish were eating i've been doing 1 150-200% change per night and just feeding metro in the food (2mg/100g discus dinner). all fish have recoverd, all have regrown damaged fins and most are now putting on ALOT of weight (must be the cleaner water). I'll be keeping my ph at 6.5 for another 2 weeks but i'll stop feeding the medicated food once this batch runs out (probably wedneday night)

i hope it all works out for you ILLUSN ,just keep up the good work mate . good luck

Hi, I'm New Here!

Discus Plague

My beautiful Discus have been hit with the "plague" as well. What treatments are people using (I'm using Furan-2, General Cure, and T. Sulfa). Everything seemed to be working great then today my female breeder blue started darting around the tank violently. Now she is lying sideways and I'm in tears over her situation. Can anyone help me? I just did 3 major water changes and re-treated with the meds. I also turned down the UV sterilizer so it will clean water more slowly. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Kitty Loves Her Discus!

turn off the uv altogether! it will destroy the meds, treat with metro at 250mg/10L (Furan is dangerous and banned in many countires) drop your ph slowley to 5, keep up the water changes

Hi, I'm New Here!

Too Late

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    turn off the uv altogether! it will destroy the meds, treat with metro at 250mg/10L (Furan is dangerous and banned in many countires) drop your ph slowley to 5, keep up the water changes
    It's too late. I've lost them all. 1 breeding pair of Blues, 1 breeder pair of Red Pigeons, 4 Rio Rubus, 4 Cobalt Blues, 4 Green Scribbles, 6 Baby Blue Pandas,5 Hi-Fin Blue Diamonds and 3 Yellow Saffrons, 2 of which were beginning to pair up.
    All of this because I was stupid enough to buy Discus from a dealer online I did not know. I quarantined the fish when I got them as I always do, and the disease spread to my other tanks through my Python cleaning hose.
    I've run 20% bleach through the hose and pulled out all my cartrages and media. I'm letting the tanks run with 20% bleach in them.
    How long should I let them soak before considering the tanks safe? Or should I toss everything and start over?
    Kitty Loves Her Discus!

Oh Kitty, that's so sad. I'm so sorry you lost your fish.

Discus plague is a terrible thing if it gets a hold on the fish. I've been where you are, had an 8 foot tank of discus wiped out, and it's such a tragedy.

Add more bleach to the water, stir up your gravel so the chlorine goes through everything, lift the driftwood and turn it over and soak all your water change hoses in the bleach too.

Let it sit for another 24 hours, then thoroughly rinse everything with clean water, and if possible leave outside in the sun for a few days till all smell of bleach has gone.

When you refill your tank, add three times the normal amount of chlorine remover, just to be on the safe side, and then begin cycling your tank again. If plague is in your area, then I wouldn't borrow any used media from a friend to start your cycle, but begin from scratch with a fishless cycle using either pure ammonia or a raw shrimp in the water to provide the ammonia. Your cycle will probably take a full six weeks that way, but at least you know your tank will be totally disease free for your new fish.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn
    Oh Kitty, that's so sad. I'm so sorry you lost your fish.

Discus plague is a terrible thing if it gets a hold on the fish. I've been where you are, had an 8 foot tank of discus wiped out, and it's such a tragedy.

Add more bleach to the water, stir up your gravel so the chlorine goes through everything, lift the driftwood and turn it over and soak all your water change hoses in the bleach too.

Let it sit for another 24 hours, then thoroughly rinse everything with clean water, and if possible leave outside in the sun for a few days till all smell of bleach has gone.

When you refill your tank, add three times the normal amount of chlorine remover, just to be on the safe side, and then begin cycling your tank again. If plague is in your area, then I wouldn't borrow any used media from a friend to start your cycle, but begin from scratch with a fishless cycle using either pure ammonia or a raw shrimp in the water to provide the ammonia. Your cycle will probably take a full six weeks that way, but at least you know your tank will be totally disease free for your new fish.
    It's not in my area, I made the mistake of buying from an importer online. Bloody stupid man, he doesn't quarantine his fish, he sells his fish as soon as they are off the plane from Thailand. He has a very nasty reputation amongst many American Hatcheries. The website where I found the poor sick little creatures is www.somethingsphishy.com so BEWARE!! He is located in Florida here in the states and I'm working with the ASPCA to shut him down.
    Thanks much for the advice, I guess I'll be starting over!
    Kitty Loves Her Discus!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I lost 3 all up, smaller weaker fish. What made it harder for me, was gravel, plants & other tropicals....display tank.
    The carrier never came down with any symptoms at all. I always buy from the same shop, mate owns it. This "discus" came from a major wholesaler from south of where I am. {just to warn others to be careful}

I used the last of some chlor-B I had, with prazi. As I had one discus come down with whitespot & some others should symptoms of flukes. I used Indian Almond leaves to drop the water ph.
    Once I ran out of chlor-B, I used an oxy family anti-bacterial. I soaked food in with metro during treatment too. Poor buggers got hit with more drugs then me at summafieldayze.

Frenchy
    One thing I know, & that is I know nothing.