Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Making beef heart mix. step by step. (56 k warning)

Everyone has there little recipe for making beef heart mix, here is mine.
    I have taken some pictures of the ingredients I have used as well as the process of making it. For those that do not have access to an electrical mince a hand held one will be fine it just will take longer. There are many recipes out there for beef heart mix, just find a recipe that suits you and your discus.

The recipe makes approximately 8 1/2 kilograms, so if you are making this particular recipe just divide the ingredients to the amount you wish to make.

3.5 kilograms of cleaned beef heart with all sinus and fat removed
    1kilogram of beef liver with sinew removed
    2 kilograms of scallops with roe on
    1 kilogram of fresh prawn meat.

½ cup lecithin
    1 cup of wheat germ
    100 grams of spirulina powder
    1 table spoon calcium lactate (not a necessary ingredient to add and very hard to find!)
    4 cups of blanched and very puréed baby spinach. (I prefer to use baby spinach as the leaves are much softer and there is less stalk matter. Available from most major supermarkets)

Step one

Clean the beef heart and liver then run through a mincer once, then add the lecithin, wheat germ and if using, add the calcium lactate. Run through the mincer again.

Step two

Mix the prawns, scallops with the spirulina then mince once through the mincer

Step three

Now add the beef mix, seafood mix and spinach together. Mix very well for a few minutes till well incorporated and evenly mixed.

Step four

I use silicon paper but normal greaseproof paper works fine, just cut squares add a few spoon full of mix and fold the paper over. Repeat this process until all beef heart mix has been done. Seal well in plastic containers, I like to date the beef heart mixture when made so this gives me an idea how much is used and when it was made.

Step five

Freeze the mix. When serving to discus I like to defrost it in the fridge slightly for an about 4 hours before feeding. The mix will still be semi frozen but will be able to break up in the water more easily.

Bon appetite
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whole_beef_heart.jpg   ox_liver.jpg   cleaned_heart.jpg  

pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails calcium_lactate.jpg   wheat_germ.jpg   lecithin.jpg  

pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mincing_the_heart_and_liver.jpg   minced_heart_and_liver_with_lecthin.jpg   spinach_purree.jpg  

pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cleaning_prawns.jpg   scallops__prawns_and_spirulina.jpg   mincing_the_seafood.jpg  

a picture of spirulina
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spirulina.jpg  

Medium Discus
    Hey Ben looks Like good fun mate.
    Can I please ask how much does it cost to knock up a recipe like that,
    And Im sure going to show us the finished result, cant wait

pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all_mixed_together.jpg   what_a_mess_.jpg   me_hard_at_work_.jpg  

last pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails packaging.jpg   the_finished_product_.jpg  

Oh, i forgot to mention that Oscar (chrissyoscar)
    helped me in the production of this beef heart mix!

cheers mate!

Home made food... best way to go