Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks rytis. I appreciate that

Just couldn't bear to see our lovely forum become like some of the other free-for-all slanging matches on the net.

Never met a discus person I didn't like.

I think we're all pretty special people :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I just picked up some medium-sized discus from a LFS manager's personal collection. He said when he had them, they can't get enough color bits. For me, they don't seem overly interested in them. They ignore them until they are on the gravel, then they go looking for them. Maybe it's the new environment? They all go after tetra flakes.
    54 gal bow/corner mixed sps/soft coral reef.
    12 gal nano reef.
    120 gal discus.

Just an Egg
    That's odd bgi...maybe it is their new environment or maybe they just like the tetra flakes more or maybe they are just too well fed. I can't say that my discus have ever gone for the colorbits either. But keep in mind that discus do like to peck around for their food for about an hour after you give it to them. Maybe your LFS guy kept them in a barebottom tank where they never had that luxury? It might be a novelty for them now.

Claire.

Wrigglers

Colourbits

I have 5 discus and even after going without food for a day then being fed colour-bits in the morning, I still have only 3 that will eat them.

I do feed them my home-made beefheart spiked with colourbits and vitamins so they are eating them without even realising...

Sneaky...?

In your beef heart mix is the way to go
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Larvae
    mine didn't even take any of those ... arrghhh
    even now they rejecting the most delicious lively blackworms ...

i used to have a couple of discus ... and one of them died of hex so i treated the other one with metro and after treatment is done now he didn't even look at the food at all ...

I gave him sera granules and colorbits ... but he just ignore it ... and gave him blackworms ... he ignores it too ... arghhh

what else do you guys think i should do with him ??? or do you think he feels lonely and need a mate ?? but i put him in my community tanks ... so he shouldn't feel lonely right ??? hehehe

Wrigglers
    if your new fish does not want to eat anything, make sure u try feeding them abit of bloodworms,brineshrimpe or other frozen food just to keep their appetite up.
    from my personal experience, the fish that doesnt want to eat is very stubborn. they will starved themselves until death.
    u can always get a feeder cone and mix the frozen food and tetrabits in there, that way they hav no choice but to peck on the tetrabits aswell if they want to get the frozen food. they will spit it out at the beginnning, but persistent will pay off.

Blue Diamond Discus
    G-1000, I would not get too frustrated if some never eat colourbits. I have tried starvation techniques, a few pick up on it and start eating others won't (after 5 days of starvation, it if they don't start eating it, you have to question do I really need them to eat colourbits).

I have noticed that the Discus I pick up from SLS seem to eat anything.
    Dave