Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Levamisole

Wrigglers
    Hi EX - the Sykes Big L which everyone seems to recommend in this thread actually has levamisole hydrochloride as its active ingredient. So, it seems like Big L and should work at pH above 7 according to Dr Hal!

Blue Diamond Discus
    thats great to know i should have taken the time to check the side of the bottle
    cheers
    EXAI
    It's always darkest before dawn ... so if you're going to steal some rocks
    from your neighbours garden for your display tank, that's the time to do it.

Wrigglers

'Azole' group worming agents

Levamisole is really fairly ineffective aginst internal treatment of worms if placed in the fishes water. It needs to get inside the fish via food, but I guess any worms that protrude from the fishes anus can get 'stung' by it. A better drug to use is Mebendazol. Be aware that levamisole can cause some nasty side effects on you fish. Here is an attachment from Bassleer, which is my and fish disease experts, fish disease bible. Any further info, give me a buzz via this means.

Squid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails levamisole.jpg  
    Wild discus only please. Or bring back the old strains from the 80's.

Wrigglers

other info

I guess you'll need the niclosamide dose rates as well.

Squid
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails niclosamide.jpg  

Wrigglers
    Hi Squid

Have you used Mebendazole before? Where did you buy it and did it show any side effects with the fish including the more sensitive types like catfish?

Cheers

Wrigglers

Mebendazole

Mebendazole is another anthelmetic drug similar to Levamisole, but from a different chemical group. Treatment using it is similar to levamisole. I can get it off my wife, as she is a dedicated fish vet. Any vet who claims to practice 'fish stuff' will be able to get it for you. It is also known as VERMOX and is widely used in treating farm animals roundworm problems. As for species sensitivity, I dont know as I dont really have much to do with catfish. It will knock tetras around though and is better used in their food. You can try this link for a search in your spare time. If I find out, I'll give you a yell.

Squid

Link: www.fishvetsociety.org.uk

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi

Refe to the following quote

[/quote]Levamisole should not affect the filter bacteria. As far as overdosing is concerned you most certainly can. There are many opinions on this stuff and personally I hate it but still use it when I have to. Even though there is little research or articles on Levamisole IMO it's better to use it than start running trials on Fenbendazole which was suggested to me recently.

The information I have been given (please don't shoot the messenger) is that 1. there is no proof that Levamisole does not affect the fertility of fish after heavy treatments with it, however, there are reports that fish have bred successfully after its use, 2. Levamisole has the potential to cause permanent nerve damage in fish and 3. Levamisole has been known to cause spinal deformaties in young growing fish. Doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence and especially after seeing what it does whilst under treatment.

I want to ask any experience on point 3,

how old will it be safe to use Leavmisole

never had fertility problems or deformed fish however my fish do go crazy and now i am too scared to use it anymore.

Wrigglers
    ahcliu, check out this discussion thread on Waterlife Sterazin:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/vi...486&highlight=

I have not used it, but it is supposed to also work on nematodes like roundworms, etc, and from others' experiences, it seems much milder than Levamisole.

Mebendazole seems like a good option, it also treats flukes.