Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Levamisole

SnakeSkin Discus
    thx phlipper.
    all up "so far" i only lost a cpl of of tetras, but one discus too.
    since putting them in the 3 footer they have picked up heaps, even my favorite discus survived, which i thought was past saving.

decided not to muck around and just emptying it now and replacing all the water and substrate "gave me an excuse to do it" not doing the filter so tank will go through only a mini cycle hopefully and when finished i'll put my fish back in

Free Swimmer
    Good news mate I think the levamisole you used may of contained an additive like glucose, may account for why it smelt sweet. You likely dont need to be told this but, if you are ever in doubt about some medication or tecnique experiment with a expendible fish in a seperate tank first.
    NAME : Phil

SnakeSkin Discus
    yeah just what i was thinking it should be illegal to sell it with out listing the contents of the bottle on the label imo... but it only mentioned levamisole
    i was just plain silly risking all my fish the way i did, but hey i wont do it again

SnakeSkin Discus
    Unfortunately I dont think they label glucose as an additive as the product is not "intended" for use in an aquarium... so the manufacturers are not aware of the impact glucose can have on an aquarium aquaculture... they only know that it wont harm the animals and birds that it is intended for... does that make sense? (Only my thoughts... dont know for sure)
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

SnakeSkin Discus
    sounds about right to me

Blue Diamond Discus

IV MECTIN

there is also a product called IV plus
    its main ingrediant is ivmectin it again is a strictly pig wormer
    but somehow has been used i the treatment of fish worms
    cammillanus capill'
    it also has had some effect on flukes
    BUT...................
    it is extremely potent 1ml per 200ltr
    it can be added to food directly BUT again
    if the fish are sulking or look a bit bloated its time to do a 50% water change
    no the good side of all of this is its 100% effective kills the little fellas and the adult worms . but if there in the gravel ots probably best to add to the tank first
    AI

Medium Discus
    worm-enda killed every fish I ever tried to treat with it. I finally found Big-L online right here

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/prod...cat=394&page=1

including postage it cost me $20.50 delivered to my post office in 7 days. no more worm-enda for me ... my advice is to stay away from it.

Wrigglers
    Sykes Big L -

Not the cheapest from this online company, but certainly the best service and very quick delivery (next business day):

http://2easy.com.au/shop/articles.ph...=big+l&x=0&y=0

Wrigglers

Levamisole and pH

Hey all

One thing that bugged me was reports that Levamisole needed low pH (< 7) to be effective. I suppose this is not a problem for discus tanks, but for those who have tanks with other types of fish, it might be nice to know.

I found this article in the Loach forum that seems to clarify:

Many thanks to Dr. Hal Sinclair of IVX Animal Health for the following information.

Levamisole base is NOT stable and will break down as pH rises.
    Levamisole Hydrochloride, on the other hand, is stable for up to 90 days in water. No specific pH necessary.

Not sure who this Dr Hal is, but assuming it is correct, this is nice to know!

More on this can be found at:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic....ght=levamisole

Blue Diamond Discus
    but will the levimisole hydrochloride do the same job without adverse effects is the question
    and do yu really want to chance it?????
    most medications have been adapted from there normal daily use to the alternate fish dose
    sometimes the slightest additive can kill or react with something in ones aquarium
    like you said it would be nice to know
    EXAI
    It's always darkest before dawn ... so if you're going to steal some rocks
    from your neighbours garden for your display tank, that's the time to do it.