Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Levamisole

Quote Originally Posted by Simone
    Hey peeps, just a quick query i dosed my piegon with Levamisole and he passed a couple of worms but he still looks like he has a full tummy but i havent seen him eat so my question is can i redose in a week or so?
    Yes you can, but I'd wait 2 weeks between treatments.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    Thanks heaps ladyred! I know he will pull through!

Free Swimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyred
    Hmmmm Phil, it depends what else is in it. Some of them have glucose in them to make it more palatable.

Can you get a shot of the contents?

We use the Pig and Poultry wormer because it's water soluble, so not too sure about this one. It must have something different in it, even though the main ingredient is levamisole.

This is going back a number of posts now, but to jog memories......I bought some Big L Levamisole a little while ago, but bought the wrong one, insted of the pig and poultry grade, I got the cattle and sheep bottle, and there was some apprehension on wether or not to use it. It seems to be the same stuff, but at a stronger mixture, approx. double of what the pig and poultry is.

So rather than waste it, I experimented with it on a few different fish at half the normal reccommended dose of 1 ml to 7 litres of water. Not sure if the fish I tried it on had worms or not, likely not ?....but none died or showed any adverse reactions at all so I think it's also Ok to use at half strength. I tried it on some Guppies, Swordtails, female Bettas and some Angels and all are unscathed by it, I haven't tried it on Discus as of yet, but see no reason why it should't be OK, I'll try that next
    NAME : Phil

SnakeSkin Discus
    Will levamisole kill the eggs and larvae as well as the actual worm....?

Possibly a silly question but I dont think I have seen it anywhere....
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

Free Swimmer
    I myself have no idea ???........but I'd like to know that as well.

Just as a further note I have been experimenting with the stuff, I have dosed a variety of fish with the Levamisole at 4 times the strength just to see what one can get away with, and all the fish have had no adverse reactions that I can detect...........maybe that's worth knowing ???

SnakeSkin Discus
    another question... still need to know whether levamisole kills the egg and larvae as well...?

also, How noticeable should camallanus worms be... I have noticed a couple of my fish expelling some weird poos but most seem to be allright... how long does it take for it to be effective?

sorry for all the questions but want to make sure I eradicate worms correctly...

Also just so everyone knows.... dosed normal dose with 5 gibbys in tank and they are all fine..

So feel that I can safely say that levamisole does not affect gibbiceps...
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

Free Swimmer
    This maybe of interest.

They have copyright so I just put the link.

http://www.finarama.com/diseases/

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by sammigold
    another question... still need to know whether levamisole kills the egg and larvae as well...?
    Sammi Levimasole will probably not kill eggs and larvae(depends on where the larvae are). Thats why you need another dose after two weeks. I dont know much about life cycles of fish worms but i'll give you an example with the roundworm found in humans. the roundworm eggs hatch in the digestive system and then make a beeline for the lungs via the liver, there they live for a bit and finally they crawl up the windpipe and go down to the digestive system. now if you treat a human for roundworms, only those worms in the digestive system will get killed. those in the lungs will survive and reinfect the intestines in a couple of weeks. thats why one has to redose in 14 days to break the cycle. same theory with fish and all other pets, identify the worm, learn the life cycle and then decide when to dose and redose for complete eradication. hope that helps

SnakeSkin Discus
    iv'e messed up big time and the only conclusion i can come to is the use of levamisole ?
    i am only learning with discus, but after reading this sticky i decided to worm with levamisole after getting a few newer discus lately
    i couldn't get BigL but managed to find some worm-enda poultry wormer active constitiuant of levamisole = 8.46g/l and no mention of other additves
    but i did note it smelt a little sweet ? colour was red ?
    i noticed with BigL it is 14g/l so i used a 1 and three quarter dose and dosed @ 1ml per 7ltrs.
    i did this after a clean and big trim of my plants.
    got home tonight and all my fish were struggling all my fish were up @ the surface like they were trying to breath, not just my discus but all of my fish
    sae, rummy nose, harlequin etc even the bn's were comming to the surface
    and to top it off even all the bloody snails even came to the top of the tank
    so i thought some thing was seriously wrong
    i tested my Co2 levels and they were fine.
    i did a 40% water change as soon as i got home, then had to go out.
    i got home about 4hrs later and all the fish were doing the same and had lost one discus. luckilly i have my 3 footer setup and cycled, so i put all the fish into it. and will try to fix up what has gone wrong in my big tank ?
    now i am worried cause i have put all them fish into my 3 footer at once and it will over load my bio load, so i have to fix my main tank quick.
    i am going to do a 50% water change and add some carbon to my filter.
    any other advise on how to cleanup and make my water safe again ?
    my pH was 7 from 6.8 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0 so as far as i can see my water params are fine ?

Free Swimmer
    I think what you are doing is fine, keep the carbon fresh, change daily and a couple more water changes and add your fish back a couple at a time, hopefully there is no permanent damage to the gills....good luck