Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Levamisole

Free Swimmer
    Hey Ben

Tried it last night on one of my pair and also nothing and your right a little disappointed too?.

brad

Brad, i guess we should be happy our fish were free from worms!

Cheers
    Ben

Larvae
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to know if its ok to use a product called Aristopet - worm-enda poultry wormer? The ative constituent is 8.4g/L Levamisole (Present as Levamisole Hydrochloride)

Hi Mak, just be sure there is no glucose in the mixture. Some of the bird wormers have sugar or glucose mixed in with them to make it more palatable to birds. This will cause a huge bacterial bloom in your tank, and could be fatal to your fish.

Be sure to read the ingredients carefully. :P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

SnakeSkin Discus
    hope I am allowed to do this but it seems that Big L pig and poultry wormer is the recommended one by everyone here so I found the link to the manufacturer...

found the sykes website with product info on Big L... they may have details of where you can buy it... HTH

http://www.sykes.net.au/sykes/bigwormpoultrypigs.htm
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

thanks sammi for the link!

SnakeSkin Discus
    No probs... a pleasure!!!
    sammi

SnakeSkin Discus
    just a question:: one of the members on gup forum used levamisole on their tank for camallanus worms and mentioned that it destroyed their bacteria in the filter and that the tank had started to cycle again and he lost a few fish to ammonia spike... I read here that Big L doesnt do this... could it be that unless your tank is really well established that it may affect the bacteria?? (I know they used BigL because they got the link off me. )
    I also linked them to this thread so that they could read about it and learn more...

Can you overdose?
    sammi

San Merah Discus
    Hi Sammi,

Levamisole should not affect the filter bacteria. As far as overdosing is concerned you most certainly can. There are many opinions on this stuff and personally I hate it but still use it when I have to. Even though there is little research or articles on Levamisole IMO it's better to use it than start running trials on Fenbendazole which was suggested to me recently.

The information I have been given (please don't shoot the messenger) is that 1. there is no proof that Levamisole does not affect the fertility of fish after heavy treatments with it, however, there are reports that fish have bred successfully after its use, 2. Levamisole has the potential to cause permanent nerve damage in fish and 3. Levamisole has been known to cause spinal deformaties in young growing fish. Doesn't fill me with a whole lot of confidence and especially after seeing what it does whilst under treatment.

Dosage in food is between 5gms and 10gms per kilo of food but I was advised to go the lower amount. In water (I use the pure powder form) it is 1.14gms per 100 ltrs of water but I found that to be about as useful as a knob of goat shite. IMO use it in food if you have to use it at all.
    MAC

Hi, I'm New Here!

Where to buy Levamisole?

I would like to start by saying thanks to everyone for all the great information contained in this thread. With that being said, after reading about Levamisole and what a great dewormer it is I began to look for it. I am from the States so it is very difficult to find but I did find it on this site and ordered it.

http://www.2easy.com.au/shop/articles.php?cat=673