Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blue Diamond Discus

Advice Needed re WORMING

Could someone in the Forum please provide Newbies like myself regarding the worming requirements of Discus?.

I have Dogs and Cats who are wormed regularly every three months which keeps them nice and healthy, and is it a dumb question for me to ask regarding our Discus?

Perhaps Ladyred, Kevkoi or Proteus could advise us regarding this question, as you all seem pretty learned.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

Okay margot, well this is the routine I follow. (BTW there are no dumb questions here. They are all equally important)

All new discus go into the quarantine tank for a minimum of 4 weeks. During that time they are watched. and if they show signs of worms, they are wormed with Praziquantal which treats gill flukes and tape worms.

I have recently begun to think it is important to treat for nematodal parasites as well. And for that you use Levamisole which is sold as a Pig and Poultry wormer.

I routinely treat for worms every six months, juveniles and adults. Breeding pairs are wormed before they go into the breeding tank.

HTH.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    You say that you look for signs of worms in your fish Merrilyn what are the actual signs that you look for

Leanne

You can actually see them passing tape worm segments. These are little packets of worm eggs, and if another fish picks at them, they will become infected too. Other times, they will actually pass the whole worm, and you will see it on the bottom of the tank.

Another sign I look for is a hollow belly despite eating well. They will also get a dose of worm treatment too, and invariably pass worms.

Medium Discus
    Thanks for that Merrilyn sometimes mine doing stringy sort of white looking poo do you think thats worms Its not 1 long stringy bit its lots of little stringy pieces if you know what I mean.

Leanne

That sounds like worms to me. Treat with Levamisole Pig and Poultry wormer. Dose rate is 1 ml per 7 litres of tank water.

You can expect them to pass a number of thin round worms about 2.5 cm long.

I also worm every six months

it was only something i strated about one yaer ago, the fish seem to "bulk up" a bit more
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Medium Discus
    I've never heard of that is that the same sort of stuff as prazi I guess you wouldnt get that from your lfs.

Leanne

Anywhere they sell horse gear, or feed and grain should have it. It's also sold as a wormer for canaries and budgies in your pet shop, but it's very expensive to buy it that way.

Medium Discus
    Thanks Merrilyn I'll give it a try.

Leanne