Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SnakeSkin Discus

Some Basic Information on Discus Breeding.

Having noticed that a lot of people are posting questions about how to tell when you have a pair, even when there is the same post on the same page just written by someone else, I gathered there was a need for some solid information in the one section. I have searched through a large amount of pages on this forum and from google and collaborated all the basic tips regarding discus breeding.

What age and size do discus breed?

Generally 12-18 months, but discus can breed as young as 7-8 months. They generally have to be about 4 inches (~10cm) to breed, however this varies as discus that have been raised in less then ideal water may have stunted growth where they remain smaller then normal but their internal organs still mature.

How do you encourage breeding?

To stimulate spawning in the tank, you need to do daily water changes of about 50% with slightly cooler water than normal. Even a drop of 1 - 2 degrees will help. The quality and variety of their food also needs to be increased, so try frozen brine shrimp, frozen beef heart mix and dry pellets as well as blood worms. If you can get live brine shrimp or mossie wrigglers, so much the better.

How to tell male/female?

The only SURE sign is to watch them spawning, and observe the shape of the genital papillae. The female has a blunt round tube similar to a U, whereas the male's is more a V shape.

Having said that, there are other signs that you can look for:

- Elongation of the dorsal and anal fin on mature males.

- A more rounded dorsal and anal fin on females.

- Larger body size, and more intense overall colour in the male.

- Broader head on the male when observed from the front.

Even then once again the only sure way is to observe the genetil papillae.

How to tell if you have a "pair"?

Signs of a breeding pair are;

- Fast shimmering or shaking of the body.

- Pecking at a surface in the tank. eg a clay pot, spawning cone or plant leaf.

- Two fish becoming aggressive towards all the others.

- Two fish guarding a corner of the tank.

Fish 'bowing' towards each other (Could be better described as the fish turning on their sides or learning forward towards each other)

This is the general order in which the events take place.

The first sign of pairing off will be that the pair begin to hang out together and swim together, they may begin to guard a selected corner of the tank, keeping all other fish away. Bowing is another behaviour often observed. They will swim toward each other and perform a slow bow to each other.

Then having selected a site, you will see them shimmy to each other, a quick shaking of the fins and body, usually while facing the object they have selected for spawning. Next comes cleaning the site, starting gently and becoming more vigorous as they get closer to spawning and finally trial runs over the site and then actual egg laying.

Depending on the pair, this behaviour can go on for days before the actual spawning.

Hope this helps everyone.

Sam

Medium Discus
    Nice post Sam heaps of handy info there,
    I like all those post from other forum people, when there not sure if they have a pair.
    Its sort of cute, innocent and exciting for them.
    Good work though Sam

SnakeSkin Discus
    Yeah i know what you mean...

Im not tryin to stop people doing that, if im not sure i will post here asking but im just trying to make it abit easier for everyone....

Sam

Larvae
    Mcloughlin2,

that's a really good post, summary of all and good basis for newbies (like me lol) wanting to identify fish, even if it's to buy new ones or just to identify those we have.

It is good to read, is this a pair though, envy of others is what drives us to improve ourselves

Brenton
    Who's a happy little french fry?

Cheers Sam, great tips and thanks for sharing!
    Ben

SnakeSkin Discus
    Im happy that the information helps everyone...

Sam

Lots of good information there Sam.

I've turned it into a sticky for you
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Tiny Fry
    Wat age and size do discus breed……?

Generally 12-18 months, but discus can breed as young as 7-8 months…
    so what is the size they start breeding at 4 of mine are about 5-6", i dont know how old they are, but growing and 2 of them red and yellow chase others to corners of the tank sometimes, but no other signs you described for breeding.

also what is the biggest size they get? coz i read 55g tank fits 5-6, then i read they get 10-12" and 1"fish/2 gallons, so the math dont add up.....

cant find this info anywhere and been looking a lot

Just an Egg
    You'll have all your Q's answered, if you go through Andrew Soh's book, "Discus, the Naked Truth"...

And as he himself is on this forum, I guess he's the right person to answer...
    Nag
    "Out of hibernation"

Larvae
    Thanks alot for that sam hopefully I can get some breeding happening one day