Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Wrigglers
    just curious i have this recipe and your sounds much better what do you think..

10pounds beefheart
    1pd shrimp
    1/2pound flakefood
    6oz spinich
    6oz spirulina powder
    2oz of paprika spice as a color inhancer?
    6 packs of gelitine
    10 multivitamin tablets for human consumption

see ur making the fish real food. why would u put flakes in it? like salomon better ( i got a giant fish in the freezer from the occean. for free
    why is paprika a color inhancer?
    and why human vitamins?

Wrigglers
    **** thats sounds bad

"i got giant fish in freezer from the ocean for free"

what that meant to say is i have a whole salmon in freezer that my dad caught himself in the ocean then was frozen. lol for free.

that didnt sound so good ..

Larvae

Not enough BH?

I've recently made a batch similar to ladyred recipe; just added some mussle and crab meat in place of the shrimps I could not find (I bought everything from Wollies) and used spinach instead of peas. I had some reservations about the strong garlic flavour (smell) but the fish absolutely love it!!!
    I've notice though many other recipes have a mucu higher ratio of BH. Do you think this would make a difference, as far as being beneficial for their growth?
    Gianluca (John)
    ADA member

Just an Egg

recipe

Hi Folks,

To anyone who has made this mix,i was wondering if my sea bream fillets and Paradise prwns owuld do a good job?I know the the proprtions don't have to be exact,but is there a cheap way aroudn with spirulina,a bottle costs like $30 here more than the Salmon. Will this mix be even better if i mix scallops or as many seafood as i coudl find?

cheers,jack

Tiny Fry
    I'm very keen to do this having seen how the Discus took to the frozen pack I bought at Fish Rock.

Anyone of the Central Coast made this mix?

I've tried everywhere local to me on the Central Coast to get Beef Heart but not having much joy. Local butcher wants me to buy at least 5 Kg of heart to make it worth his while.

The only other way I can see I can get Beef Heart is to buy the frozen cubes at the LFS but this will get very expensive and will affect the mix.

Woolworths tried to sell me "Heart Smart" beef

It's a last resort to buy 5 Kg - does anyone know of a local butcher I can try?

Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic
    they tried the same with me. sometimes, coles has lamb heart. turkey heart is very good if you can get your hands on some. the cubes not good as its very hard to get the fat out.

Tiny Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by samir
    sometimes, coles has lamb heart. turkey heart is very good if you can get your hands on some. the cubes not good as its very hard to get the fat out.
    As a rule I stay away from Coles as I've found them to be hopeless and worse than Woolies. I'll make an exception and remind myself it is good for fish

Will look out for substitutes for Beef Heart.

I don't know why it is so hard to get "proper" food these days. I grew up working in my Dad's shop and the bacon came in as half a pig and it was cut up from there. Now shops get it all in pre cut, pumped full of liquid and in festy bags.

Will get off my soap box. Showing my age and my pommy roots. At least I'm now an Australian citizen

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic
    I've tried everywhere local to me on the Central Coast to get Beef Heart but not having much joy. Local butcher wants me to buy at least 5 Kg of heart to make it worth his while.

The only other way I can see I can get Beef Heart is to buy the frozen cubes at the LFS but this will get very expensive and will affect the mix.

It's a last resort to buy 5 Kg - does anyone know of a local butcher I can try?
    Hi Pal

Beefheart is the heart of a cow taken from the animal when slaughtered. Most butchers dont stock them as their is very little ask for it. They need to order it most likely from the Oberon abatoir where almost all of Sydney's meat comes from. That is no problem however most butchers dont like to order just one.
    5 kg is not bad for a heart anyway. i order a few at the time thru a butcher in Eastwood and most hearts are around the 4 to 6 kg each anyway. I usually get 2 or 3 and keep them in the freezer for when i want them. Remember from the 5 kg at least 50% is waste in fat and muscle and blood which all have to be taken out. Not to worry it is very cheap to buy you need to plan a bit as it may take 2 weeks or more to get.

Once you have it you will be pleased, beef heart is full of protein.

Be careful "Heart Smart" beef is not the same , this is normal meat from the animal but fats have been removed. IT IS NOT THE HEART that you want. The name is confusing to people "Heart Smart" beef simply means it has the approval of the Heart Foundation People as non fattening meat. It is useless for what you need for the discus and too expensive anyway.

Substitutes like sheep and other hearts are much less in value and the last lot to buy is crap from the shop that has soo much rubbish in it, you will be surprised.

So my advice .......order the beef hearts from the butcher and be nice to him, you will need him again.

BTW Lady M's recipe is excellent i use it all the time.

Cheers Jim.
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

Tiny Fry
    Hi Jim,

I know it's not the butchers fault. Just voicing a general gripe over what shops stock these days

I know "heart smart" isn't a heart based product - I just found it funny that staff in shops would try and sell it as an alternative.

As it stands, I went round every shop in the area today and was set to go and ask the butcher for him to order some when I found diced beefheart in the chilled pet food section of Woolies. Have bought several packets (they were about .5 Kg each) and will now get other ingredients and a grinder.

Cheers,

Chris

chirs thing is you have to cut every thing of the heart mate all the fat sinus and vains its hard work when its diced . i used to be a butcher and when i worked a t woolie they used to put every thing it to that so make shore it is beef heart mate , just dont want you to make any mistakes sorry mate .you can ask at woolie if they have whole beef heart they will give it to you they will just put it on a tray and price it well good luck mate