Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    SnakeSkin Discus
    garlic is quite good for humans, it acts as a sort of detoxifier. so it must work the same on the fish. im sure someone else could help on that one

nathan

Just an Egg
    Hi!
    I noticed that you also feed bloodworms, but I always been told not to feed Discus that, since most freshwater worms contains parasites. You don't have any parasites issues or do you treat them regularly to prevent it?
    Thanks.

Free Swimmer
    Ummmmm, I thought it was only live Black worms that can be of concern, frozen Blood worms are Ok as far as I know ????
    NAME : Phil

Blue Diamond Discus
    Well I bit the bullet and let the moths out of the ole purse and decided to make up Ladyreds mix as my last concoction was almost finished.

Seeing as how I wasn't sure what my Fish would think of it as it is very different from what they have been eating I halved the mixture (plus it's a bit easier on the purse strings for me).

I couldn't get any shrimp (none of the Shops in my area had any), so instead put in another 100g. of white Fish Fillets and put the whole lot through the blender a couple of times, then added the Spirulina and started mixing.

Smelt and looked foul (you're right about needing gloves Merrilyn), and I thought "Uh Oh - they ain't gonna eat this" - but I was pleasantly surprised!! They made short work of it last night for tea, and I gave them some more this morning for brekkie. The Clown Loach, Bristlenose, Knife Fish and Rams all seemed to enjoy it too, so success all round.

I might add that before I bagged it up I weighed it out of curiosity and it came to 3 kilograms. It's not a cheap mix to make up for someone in my situation however if you were feeding good quality commercial Food only such as Tetra Bits and good Flake, I think that this would most likely come out in front.

Thanks Merrilyn , I can now say that I've tried it and can thoroughly recommend it.

Regards,

Marg.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

Free Swimmer
    I'm using the mix as well on all my fish, nothing turns it's nose up at it, the only problem I found is grinding the mix fine enough..........think I need a new mincer. I left out the Salmon...........I bought some, but dam it..........I ate it myself All my Catfish and Loaches go nut's over it as well.....a good feed indeed :P
    NAME : Phil

Medium Discus
    Hi Margo......

How are you??

you are right about Merrilyn's mix..........great mix alright...i made it up last week, also except the shrimp, my fishshop said that shrimp comes from sydney harbor and fishing is banned there now due to the dioxin scare...hence no shrimp.

I substituted crab meat and boy do they like it.

i made up 2.5 kg in proportions to the recipee and weighed it before i bagged it and the total cost was about 40 bucks.

some time ago i bought some "discus food" whatever that is,
    100 gms for $6.50 just to try out.

so if you do the maths you see that equivalent weight in discus food would cost $162.50

and you can be sure that Merrilyns recipee has food with a quality a 1000 times better than what ever is in discus food.

so no comparison is possible here i think, i am sure you will agree.

i told Merrilyn the stuff is good enough to serve up with a greek salad in a ***** restaurant.

Good to have friends dont you think????

Regards.
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

Blue Diamond Discus
    Yes Jim I agree.

Everything is going well here in Wagga Wagga - starting to get a bit cold though!!

Regards,

Marg.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

Glad your fish like the mix guys.

I think Jim's been serving it up on dry biscuits to his visitors

Sorry Jim, couldn't help myself

:P
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyred
    Glad your fish like the mix guys.

I think Jim's been serving it up on dry biscuits to his visitors

Sorry Jim, couldn't help myself

:P
    Merrilyn

How did you know that?????....i did have a lot of visitors, where you perhaps one of them????? there were a few strangers amongst them....LOL
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

That was me in the red dress in the corner Jim.

Thought the dip smelt strangely familiar
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend