This is my own beef heart mix, refined over many years of breeding and raising discus. I find this one to be the best for colour and growth of fry, and for conditioning breeding pairs.

I have an electric mincer, so it makes life easy, but you could also use a hand mincer or a food processor. All the ingredients come from the supermarket or the health food shop, and are readily available. This makes a large amount, so you may like to halve the quantities.

2kg beefheart, thoroughly trimmed of any fat and sinew

1kg Shrimp, the small orangey red ones

1kg green prawns, shelled and de veined

1kg of any white ocean fish fillets (don't use fresh water fish)

1kg Salmon (yes I know, but your fish are worth it)

1 cup frozen green peas

1 cup cooked carrot

1 heaped tablespoon of Spirulina powder for every 2kg of mixture

half a cup of minced garlic

A cup of good quality flake food, to bind it all together. (I use Breeder's blend flake)

All this goes thru the mincer twice, so it is all thoroughly mixed together.

It then goes into a big bowl, where I mix by hand (wearing gloves, or you'll have green hands) for about ten minutes.

At this point you can add fish vitamins or any other additives you may like. I like to add NaturRose (astaxanthin) and Pro More, but the choice is yours.

A good spoonfull of mixture goes into each zip lock bag, flatten them with a rolling pin or by hand, and lay on a tray to freeze flat.

I feed this twice a day to all adults, three times a day to juveniles, along with tetra bits and blood worms and mysis shrimp. Little and often is the secret with feeding discus. Their stomach is only as big as their eye, so fill it often and you will have terrific growth rate.