Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Medium Discus

Prazi for discus and metro what rates

Hi,
    just wanting to no what is the rate for worming your discus and how do you go about it doing it. do you just chuck the tablets into the tank, i have heard of someone that you drain half you water first in your tank so you dont have to use big rates is this right. My next question is what is the rate for Fagyl if i have to use it and they will be going into a 2ft tank when i have problems
    cheers axl

Hi axl. Praziquantel is used at the rate of 100mg per 20 litres of tank water, with a 25% water change after 2 days and a cleaning of the filters. The dose needs to be repeated in 7 days to prevent reinfestation. It will control gill and body flukes, and tapeworm.

Flagyl, or Metronidazole is for bacterial infections and also to treat Hex (hole in the head). Dose rate is 250 mg per 10 lts of tank water every 48 hours, with a 30% water change before each new dose, for 3 treatments.

Lights must be off during the treatment, as Metro is destroyed by light. If the fish is still eating, soak some dry food in metro and water. That way it goes straight into the gut where it does the most good, and put the remainder of the metro in the water.

Dropping the level of the water in the tank is a good way to reduce the amount of medication needed. Just make sure your filters and heater can still function properly.

I dissolve my tablets in a small amount of tank water for about an hour, before adding to the tank.

Remember, no carbon in your filters during treatment of any kind, and turn your UV off.

HTH

*Admin Edit* Post edited to reflect latest findings on dose rates of Metro.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    Hey,
    thanks for the info, i have purchased flagyl tablets which are 400g strength so what would be the rate for that. If i was to take 50% out of my 280ltr and treat prazi in there would i just fill the tank back up after 2 days or would i take another 25% out of 50% and then fill back up ?????
    cheers axl

Medium Discus
    gday mate, having used 400mg tabs myself it can get a tad confusing...

Ill give us a non round number (based on 40L) units to work with to give you an idea...

I'll use 100L as an example capacity

First we figure out how many times 40L fits into the volume we're working with. 100 / 40 = 2.5

We know we treat at the rate of 250mg per 40L, so the overall amount of metronidazole required is therefore 2.5 * 250mg = 625mg

Now, if you're using 400mg tabs, you divide the total amount of Metro required, by tablet amount, which for illustrative purposes is 625 / 400 = approximately 1.5 tablets...

Regards.
    Benny

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for any mathematical inaccuracies, or any deaths or injuries sustained by using the treatment.. i do not promote the use of prescription drugs either without proper vet dosage reccomendations.

Medium Discus
    Hey benny,
    cheers for that, nice disclaimer down the bottom i like that but dont worry i havent got my discus yet so you have no chance of killing them i am just preparing myself and would you be able to answer the second part of my 2 post
    thanks axl

Wrigglers
    haha,,these days u can sue for anything,,,,one day someone might sue the discus forum for causing them to hurt their fingers while typing for advice!!hahaha

San Merah Discus
    If these meds are applied to the fish food then I guess lower concentrations would need to be applied right?

And also, I believe metro is light sensitive. If it is added to the food and not just through the water is it necessary to have lights out conditions??

San Merah Discus
    Just found a disturbing post in another thread and I quote:
    Quote Proteus,
    Metro + BN = Dead BN
    I learnt the hard way, and it only took an hour before one BN was belly up...

I wish I saw this about 12 hours of metro treatment ago. Guess I'll have a few suprises when I get home. YAY!

Just an Egg
    Hi guy's,
    My g/f is a vet so getting some of this stuff is easy for me

100mg/20l (or 5mg/l)water seems a lots of tablets. G/f tells me their prazi comes in 50mg tablets. Thats 30 tablets for my 300 litre tank. Does prazi disolve well in tank water? I don't want heaps of residue.

Also note that flagyl will kill cardinals, rainbows and even smaller angels and silver sharks. My b/n lived as did my discus, but only just and I started doing 50% w/c every 12 hours straight after medicating. It was horrible to watch the little guy's freaking out. I can't remember the dosage I used but it was given by 1 of Australia's most respected fish vets. He even chaged his book regarding treating velvet after my experience.

And before anybody asks... My g/f will not prescribe these drugs to anybody she doesn't know unless they can prove to her the fish have been properly diagnosed. It's not worth her career.

Cheers,
    Neil
    The older I get; the better I was...

Medium Discus
    Mixing Prazi into foods, particular frozen food, what rates is recomended.
    Over the past five years I have lost one discus a year due to intestinal problems, Hex...
    Ive dosed quarantine tanks with Metro with out cure. And slowly watch my beloved discus die. Eventually Culling them.
    With advice from my new LFS owner, he advised to mix food into frozen foods.
    One tablet, mixed into food dosed the whole tank feeding them for a week on it.
    Fish cured in days.........
    No Quarintining, no fuss, no diming lights no water changes. one tablet.......