View Poll Results: Which is best - Planted or Bare?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Planted

32 76.19%
  • Bare

10 23.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Planted tanks arnt always harder to keep clean as the plants soak up alot of nitrate therefore less water changes. Just a hassel with gravel and plants to clean the tank.

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by flukes
    Planted tanks arnt always harder to keep clean as the plants soak up alot of nitrate therefore less water changes. Just a hassel with gravel and plants to clean the tank.
    We change water for more than just removing nitrates. There are many other things that need removing and/or replacing via waterchanges, not to mention the excess food and poop that gets trapped in the gravel, which can be considerable.l
    >>-))o>
    Skwij
    My fishies

Quote Originally Posted by luvfishies
    We change water for more than just removing nitrates. There are many other things that need removing and/or replacing via waterchanges, not to mention the excess food and poop that gets trapped in the gravel, which can be considerable.l
    Oh luv I think you just wrapped it all up. When I first started keeping fish again, I heard or read this "The solution to pollution is dilution" some where...I cannot remember where, but gosh, it is so true!

Another point that can be made with water changes other than the dilutung of toxins and cleaning up the waste is the dilutions of meds.
    Works wonders.

Thought I might dig this up since we have many new members since this was an active topic...

And some good information there too. Thanks proteus.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Blue Diamond Discus
    I love seeing my discus swim through the plants and get right down on there sides when chaseing that missed bit of food at the base of the plants

And some good information there too. Thanks proteus
    After reading that post by Kev, plus the other insights afterwards, I thought this topic needs further discussion.

At the end of the day it come down to preference, but I cant seem to think, plants are good for there development and nitrate obsorption.

Wrigglers

Planted

I would not of thought of a bare bottom tank when deciding on discus. I guess I want the Amazon in my lounge room - well as close to it as I can get it... personal preference but planted tank for me.

Medium Discus
    Just wondering why people say that discus dont grow as fast or as big in a planted compared to a bare bottom I have a planted and my sister has a bb just due to I stay at home with the kids so I have time to clean and vac etc, but I dont know about the size they'll eventually get to but growing fast comparing the two tanks I would have to say its 5o/50 she has a couple that are growing faster but then she gave me a pb that wasnt growing compared to her two now mines bigger and we both got a rm each well, she got two but my rm would easily be 3 times the size as both of hers and she has a couple that have grown faster than mine. We thought we'd test it out and I dont see the difference but then again mine might get to a certain size and stop growing and hers might continue guess we'll have to see but for now Im sticking with my gravel, planted tank the fish like it and so do I.

Leanne

For me it is diet. Beef heart and planted tank is a nightmare. Bare bottom is easy