Thread: fishroom setups

yer fully man! *quick pass me the bucket so i can spew!*
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

JNR

love your signiture

where do i buy th tickets?

ticketec?
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

for tickets hmmmm.... you will have to talk to my manager as i believe they are all sold out.
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Just an Egg
    Hi i dont no how much help it will be but i have been running my fish house for just over six years and has been changed many times at cost but have finally got there.

My shed is at end of my garden and is about 12foot by 5foot 5
    Started with 22 small tanks part sump and the rest on bubble filters and the rest on externals. Very expensive to run and to buy.

System at the moment is running 400 gallons
    1 u.v Pond type
    2 sumps These are black plastic water tank and are linked
    6 Breeding cubes
    2 48x18x18 For growing on
    1 52x21x22 For adults and pairing off
    1 43x23x22 For adults and pairing off

The first sump has no meadia as is just for water volume so, also have a light over it so if i loose a tank for any reason i have a back up.

As for water change everything is on an auto system, the first sump has an over flow and the ro unit on hose pipe timer for 6 hours and the h.m.a on hose pipe timer for 0.75 of an hour, this all goes into the second sump which is were the pumps are.

I change about 100-120 litres per day.

The shed is also heated to 31degrees as is easyer than heating the tanks.

One last thing i now drill all my tanks at front with over flow out and then down into waste pipe to sump as you can control everything better.

Just an Egg
    As for the electric, i heat the shed with parrafin (free from the local factory) so even in winter when it is below freezing all the time my bill is only about £7.50 a week, ( a couple of pints in the pub)eg £90 a quarter
    and my night time lights are solar spot lights (so free to run as well).

Cheers

Hope it helps

Sponge2

Wrigglers

small breeding setup, heating advice?

got a fair size room for a breeding hatchery, its about 6 Mts long by 3 to 4 mtrs wide.Also got 2 and a half inch styrophome as insulation.
    I got all the racks done long ago.
    Just thinking using a electric Radiator heater ok? i used to breed long ago but had a smaller room and the radiator heater worked well.

Any other heating suggestions please? i am after cost efficiant heating.
    And no i will be no big time breeder, just a small outfit, 1 breeding pair is enough.

Your thoughs on heating will be great, thankyou very much.
    Rossco

dependson your wattage, a 2400w radiator wil have to work 24/7 to keep the room warm, + heat doesn't travel too well by convection (through air) so to get your tanks to 30c you'll proably have to heat the room to 33-34.

if all you'l have is a small room wrap each tank on 4 sides with 1-2inch thick styrofoam (base and 3 non veiwing sides) and KEEP LIDS ON! that way a small 150-200w heater will do the tanks your using, you wont be wasting poiwer to heat air to transfer heat to the tanks, just heat the tanks directly, doing this in my room dropped my power bill from $1400/quarter(un insulated) to $960 (insulated), concidering the ligt needed for the planted tanks costs $200/quarter and the general power bill for the house ($280) heating the tanks only costs $500 and thats changing 1000L/night.

another tip when you heat your water for changes set a timer to tun the heater on at 11:30pm during offpeak times, that way your paying the lower rate for power for the initial heat from tap temp to discus temp

Wrigglers
    Fantastic, Thank you ILLUSN.

Thats all i needed to know.

Thanks again for your advice, very much aprriciated.
    A timer on heating the 40gallon water drums off peak is a great idea.

forgive my ignorance but what hours are off peak? guessing 12am? midnight? thanks.
    Rossco

Wrigglers
    oops 11.30 pm lol did see it, just testing ya.
    Rossco

Just an Egg
    For anyone interested in setting up a Fish Room - that lives in the Melbourne area:

I work for a pipe and fittings manufactring company - one of the (if not THE) biggest in Australia.

I can get you PVC pipe and fittings & Poly pipe and fittings at a VERY cheap price compared to re-sellers (such as reece).

For example - 50mm PN6.3 (630KPA of pressure) in a 6mrt stick - reece might charge $40 - i can get it for you for $8 - $10 (this is just an example as i wont list actual prices in an open forum)

If your interested, pm me.