Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Which filter to buy? Fluval 404, Eheim 2217 or Professional2

I am buying a 4x18x24 tank to keep ~10 discus. Can anyone please tell me which filter would be the best? The Fluval 404, Ehiem classic 2217, or Eheim Professional II 2028. Thanks for anyone's honest opinion.

2217 - $367 for 1000l/h
    404 - $219 for 1300l/h
    2028 - $576 for 1050l/h

Fluval 404 is the best value for money out of those.

Remember those LPH figures are for the filter with no media in them.

It must be also pointed out that with the eheim pro, you get the pro series media, which alone is worth over $200.

Of all the models mentioned the 2028 is the best in regards to performance by a mile, however, if you are going by price v's quality, then the Fluval gives you good bang for the buck.

Also, the Aqua One 1200 is a great model, and can be purchased for the same if not less than the fluval.

Just an Egg
    Thanks for above.

If I can get 2217 for the same price as 404, which one would be best value for money?

2217 for sure if the same price

If u get the same price for an ehiem, then i would definately go the eheim. Quality piece of equipment that. Also, if u can find a rena (french)that is also a quality canister at about the same price as a 404.

Just an Egg
    Thanks
    How about the buskets in the 404 (not in 2217)? Are they important in term of water filtration and maintenance? Would you take this in to consideration when you choose between the two of them?

The baskets are important in any cansiter, not only for the amount of media u can put in there, but also ease in maintenance. From what i have heard, the fluval is easier to maintain than the eheim

From what i have heard, the fluval is easier to maintain than the eheim
    I would disagree with this from personal experience, however, each to there own. Neither of them are difficult to maintain if that helps.

Just an Egg
    Are there any methods that you can keep the filter media together in 2217? People have suggested using lady's stockings as a substitute for baskets, what are your opinions?