Thread: skinny discus

Hi, I'm New Here!

skinny discus

hey guys

I've posted on another thread but i'm needing some fairly urgent assistance so i posted here too. Hope thats ok?

anyways I had a bunch of 7 sick discus where the symptoms were not eating, clamped fins, rapid breathing etc. Water parameters were all normal with a 32 deg temp. I treated them with octozin, In which 3 survived the treatment.

2 have since seemed to have made a recovery where they swim without clamping fins and eat regularly BUT.. the biggest one is starting to get very skinny, still clamping fins, does not eat at all and i have witness him trying to rub against things, I have also seen him with the white stringy poo and yesterday saw some very thin dark poo come out?? He has some sort of fin rot too, as seen in the pic. I have started a dose of prazi as of yesterday morning, Im almost due to do a 25% WC as prescribed.

What else should i do??? He is the best in the bunch and i would really like to see him grow up

cheers

Oh gee. He's not looking too good is he.

I think a course of metro is called for. The red around the nose and the pectoral fins indicates bacterial infection. There are probably other things going on there too, but the antibiotics should help.

Other than that, offering live food, even live blackworms, may get him eating again.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Yes he needs urgent attention, thanks for your quick help!

Should i put him in a tank of his own to treat him or should i just treat the others as well??

Ive tried live food, including balckworms and he's just not keen on it. I will persist until he eats tho, at least the others get to enjoy them

may as well do the lot ? you'd better get him eating quick or he'll end up pretty stunted. If he's the best in the bunch I'd scrap the lot, disinfect all tanks and equipment , and buy a healthy lot.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    by best in the bunch i mean best looking, he has the most colour/ shape even tho he's sick. The others seem to be fine now, hopefully he will pull through with a treatment of metro.

cheers