Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Confused about worm treatment :(

Hi Guys

I have done a search and read everything I could find on treating for worms, and it has just left me really confused at to what I should do.

One of my new discus is passing long white stringy poo with what looks to be egg sacks of either white or green in color. The major problem I have now is that it was in my community tank, and by the looks of it, most of my other fish (guppies, tetras, plecos, other discus) are doing the same thing. Thats what I get for going away for the weekend.

I am not sure what I should be using to treat all the fish in my tank. There are just so many options. I would like to be able to treat without killing off any of my other fish.

Thanks in advance for your glorious help
    Ryan

are your fish eating ?

Just an Egg
    some are, and some are not. The one that I believe brought the worms into the tank has not eaten in 8 days. All the rest are eating like normal.

if the poo has segments then its tapeworm otherwise its likely a protozoa. If its tapeworm praziquantel is very effective.

Just an Egg
    the poo is stringy and every so often there is a small section that looks solid. Would that classify as segments?

jzz30 what are they eating ?

its not tapeworms.

you could try deworming with levimasole (1ml/7litres ?) and see how it goes, and do a big water change after 24 hours.

if all that does not work treat with metronidazole.

better to ask Ladyred (or Merrilyn as she's calling herself these days :P) because I can get trigger happy with meds.

Just an Egg
    flake in the mornings and frozen discus food of a night

forgot to add above that the small sections are either white, or a slight green colour to them

it doesnt sound like tapeworm to me eather samir are they thin or are they or it showing any other sign of illness ? it sounds like some thing that it has eaten

Just an Egg
    Have a look on ebay or google flubenol 15, if its an internal parasite, that will kill it and you wont have to do a large water change after dosing (unles you want to remove the worms bodies).
    Although, if it is an egg laying parasite you will have to treat the tank for approx four weeks.