Another treatment for Velvet

This was just sent to me by Discus D from a new book he has purchased. I thought the information very interesting, and decided to pass it on. Thanks Dee. This is a great forum for sharing information :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a book last Monday by Gerald Bassleer called "The New Illustrated Guide to Fish Diseases" which is a very comprehensive book on virtually all fish diseases and their respective treatments. There is some very intresting chapters on Discus health and diseases including Discus plague. Anyway, in regard to treating Piscinoodinium Gerald Bassleer says Metro can be used at 10-15ppm for 5 days to treat persitant cases and for fish that are sensitive to Copper Sulfate (soft water fish). This would/could explain why my fish in the main tank seem to have made a full recovery, no flashing and all eating very well (some of these fish where the sickest at one point). I thought I'd pass that info on for intrest sake.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi Merrilyn

Thanks for posting the info, i'm just trying to gather as much info as i can before the results are in from the vet Dr. Rob Jones. Once he has confirmed the test results I will post treatment and it's results on the forum. I just want to find the best treatment (safest) for the fish as using Copper Sulfate scares me with all the variables. Anyway just waiting for confirmation at this stage and waiting for Dr. Rob Jones to advise a treatment.

Thanks to Rod Lewis-Sunshine Discus for putting me onto the book where I got that info. It's a great book very detailed and upto date, i highly recommend it too any one intrested in fish diseases and treaments etc. Would also like to thank Merrilyn, Rod Lewis and Andrew Soh for all their advice and time with my questions. All info will be posted on the forum once I have results from tests and treatment.

Cheers,

Dee

Wrigglers

Copper sulphate

Copper sulphate will definitely work - but better not used around soft water and discus in general. Its useage is a bit antiquated these days. Some proof also that it can sterilise males (or at least lower sperm count) and we dont want that!!

Squid (male !!!)

Another great book that my wife (fish vet) uses is Dieter Untergasser's handbook of fish diseases. Also look for CRC (Commonwealth research co-ops) publications on fish disease. The CRC stufff yo can get through DPI or Uni of Tasmania Aquaculture department. Bassleer is our bible though! If you want any more info - send my a line and I can photocopy.scan and email stuff etc. Cheers
    Wild discus only please. Or bring back the old strains from the 80's.

I just might take you up on that offer Squid.

Sent you a PM.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

San Merah Discus
    Hi Dee,
    Where did u buy Bassleers book?
    MAC

Ben AOA

San Merah Discus
    Thanks Samir.
    MAC