John's home made Seafood Mix

500g Green Prawns (Meat) (approx 35 med prawns)

500g Salmon (remove skin)

250g Mussel meat (approx 30 Mussels)

250g Scallops with Roe (approx 12 Scallops)

75-100g Carrot

100-125g Green Capsicum

150g Baby Spinach

1 spoon or 5 tablets Spirulina

All contents need to be blended to a pulp, it is best to do the vegetables seperately first prior to being added to the main mix. You can add other items such as Tetra Colorbits or other dried foods, as well as garlic or any other vitamin additives.

Blue Diamond Discus
    I could almost eat that myself - sounds pretty Yummy.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

Wrigglers
    I dont eat that well !!!
    Hmm a costly mix of ingredients, might have to check out the local seafood shop.
    I suppose its over 2kgs of food and would last a long time.
    Are we supposed to put it in plastic freezer bags and roll it flat ??
    Does it go in the tank frozen or defrosted ?

Roy

why just a seafood mix?

is it used as the staple or as a supliment to a beefheart mix?
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Medium Discus
    well i have just made-up this fantastic mix........and boy do the fish love it....it is dense heavy and VERY VERY tasty........5 star stuff......not cheap but hey was is?????..JIm
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

Tiny Fry
    All contents need to be blended to a pulp
    what do you mean blended to a pulp? i mean my question is how to cut them up, because ive been working on preparing beefheart, and im trying to understand how that mincer or whatever minces that stuff, because the way i do it right now (its more work but) it is perfect size chunks and absolutely ZERO leftovers while fish get fat as heck eating it (just beefheart at the moment, but yes i will do the same w salmon, scalops and maybe mussels)

so my question is with these mincers is it possible to get just the right size cubes for discus mouth and none of that flaky too small or too big stuff?
    coz if not, i will then just have to do it the hard way....
    if you love your fish: do not over crowd

Tiny Fry
    I've just made up some of this mix using half the listed weight of ingredients to test. Now in the freezer although I did give a small amount of fresh to the Discus as I was cleaning up. They haven't all taken to it yet but very early days.

Just one question though, I've done this with raw carrot, spinach and capsicum. Is this correct or should these have been steamed/cooked before? No mention so I had assume raw would be OK.

Cheers,

Chris

Medium Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic
    Just one question though, I've done this with raw carrot, spinach and capsicum. Is this correct or should these have been steamed/cooked before? No mention so I had assume raw would be OK.

Cheers,

Chris
    Hi Chris

i have made this mix many times and you are right the fish love it.

i tried once with the raw bits but found the fish did not like these bits it as it was too hard i guess. the carrot is the worst if not cooked a bit. It was almost always not eaten.

so what i do now is too cook the vegies for a few min. first just to soften them.
    dont overcook as you will loose all the nutricional values.

dont worry about the mix you have just made, they will love it anyway.

you have done a fine job just making it, it shows to me that you realy care as it takes a bit of effort to get all the right ingredients and than making it. It takes me days sometimes to find the right ingredients as i am very fussy with the fat contents (which we dont want). The salmon especially can be very fatty.

let me know how they like it.

cheers Pal
    .....Keep fit guys....get the bicycle out.....Jim

have fun and be nice to each other

Tiny Fry
    Hi Jim,

Well, mixed results so far. Only a few of the Discus have taken to it as yet but are very interested when they do. Mainly the Neons are getting into it and even the Bristlenose before the large snail in the tank smoothers the piece and that is game over

Never seems to be much left over so the veggies must be chopped up small enough to be edible. Will steam them next time - will make them easier to blend.

What mix I have should last several weeks and I hope to be making up Ladyred's Beef Heart mix when the Beef Heart arrives. May have to deprive the Discus of some of the other foods to get them more interested in this mix.

I was careful with the ingredients but ended up getting everything from Woolworths in one hit. They had the Salmon on special and it was extremely good value!

Cheers,

Chris