Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Wrigglers
    Sammi,
    Just to let you know. Whenever I feel uneasy and that my body seemed not right, I will immediately take 'truckload' of raw garlic for the next few day...and everything comes back to normal.

Cheers to Garlic

SnakeSkin Discus

garlic

yeah garlic!!!!
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

Medium Discus
    Im curious, if UV cannot kill protozoans, does the Gamma radiation of all imported FBW kill these???? I would hope so but want other peoples oppinions
    Benny

Medium Discus
    UVc radiation does kill protozoa and will also damage protozoa cysts

UVc radiation will lead to energy entering the target cells fusing dna and preventing replication of the cell's

gamma radiation is similarly damaging to cellular dna , again emitting high energy photons to damage nuclear material

obviously these things are dose dependant and time sensitive as far as exposure and organism susceptibilty

andrew

Just an Egg
    bravo everyone this is a very educating discussion

Larvae

good info

as with most of these sticky posts, good info and great disscussion

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrilyn
    No need for an apology Andrew. Everyone is encouraged to express an opinion here.

Experiences differ from one fishkeeper to another. What may be successful for one, is not successful for another, but all opinions are welcomed.

Jim, I think the thing here is to read as much information as you can, and then form your own opinion.

Just to give you an idea, when I went into Discus many years ago, it was recommended that you feed tubifex worms as the main diet. At that time, we all fed them worms and wondered why some of our fish sickened and went black, and eventually died. There seemed to be no cure, and no reason for some of them falling ill. Now we know that feeding tubifex is about the worst thing you can do, but for a long time, it was a very acceptable practice.

Andrew has obviously found problems with feeding frozen bloodworm. Personally I have not. But I will certainly be thinking long and hard before I buy another batch of bloodworms. :P
    Hi I think the reason Andrew may have had trouble with feeding frozen bloodworms is that in his country they may not be Gamma irradiated , all imported frozen fish food into Australia has been gamma irradiated at 50,000 k which is pretty high and would eliminate any pathogens i.e. parasites. Obviously this also has some effect on the nutrition value for the diner. This is a requirement by AQIS now re named as DAFF. I hope this helps
    FinVision is an Ornamental fish Importer with approved AQIS QAP holding facility, importing AAA Discus from the World Famous IP Discus Farm, Owned and operated by Mr Tony Tan, world Champion winner many times over and his Business Partner Jeffrey Tan is also a World famous Discus Judge, Traveling the word to Judge all the Major Discus Shows with a large panel of other world class Judges. Contact FinVision
    Office 0243536330
    Mobile 0412477997
    brian@finvisionlive.com
    Web www.finvisionlive.com