Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wrigglers
    Hello Fishpimpin73,
    I believe you have a point there and absolutely right.

Most probably in our hatchery setting, clinical tanks are often used so I do not pay much attention to planted and inverts.

Have used chelated coper sulphate (locally known as 'Copper safe') on set-up tanks on a few occasions but did not see adverse effect. Maybe not enough study on my part to affirm viability.

UV is unable to kill protozoans including velvet. To this,we have tried for a few years...but you are right if used against bacteria.

Regards,
    Andrew

Free Swimmer
    Several breeders have told me that in order to have "disease free" fishies.................( or as close as possible )

You have to use copper AND UV, fish "only" tanks, and be super picky about the "tools" ( i.e. nets and so on ) that you use.

Personally, I QT EVERYTHING.

Fish, plants, boil all of my EQ, driftwood, rocks, and gravel etc.

I have a bad habit of keeping wild imports, bc of my affliction I HAVE to be UBER paranoid when it comes to the things that go into my tanks.

No "chances" taken here.........

And bc of that, I haven't lost a fish in quite sometime.
    Other than from the above mentioned causes.

If I was to be in the situation that many others have found themeselves in, I would deff isolate ANY new fish coming into my house.
    "I am not the chicken plucker. I am the chicken pluckers son, and I'll be plucking chickens till the chicken plucker comes!"

Wrigglers
    Hi,

Good to know you have good husandry practices.

In fish keeping, the underlining factor is prevention of cross-contamination..be it from fish to fish, or food to fish, or fish to plants to fish, or fish to EQ to fish...or invert to fish......he! he! long-winded.

Warmest regards,
    Andrew

SnakeSkin Discus
    did somebody say they feed their fish Garlic??? Or did I read wrong??
    sammi

Check out my music at MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/samanthadevos

Garlic is one of the best anti-oxidants you can provide your fish. (best mixed with Beefheart or Seafood mix)

Wrigglers
    Hello Sammi,
    Besides what Proteus said, garlic also has a certain anti-viral property. Further advantages include slow down the growth or kill sixty types of fungus and more than 20 types of bacteria.

Garlic has allicin, a sulfur compound that has antibiotic qualities.

Usually the dose in mix is around 20gm to 1 kg of animal meal. In most cases, any higher mix ratio of garlic, discus reject and will not eat.

regards,
    Andrew

Larvae
    I too have had no problems feeding FBW to by fish, however my concern is every time I feed them my eyes swell up, become itchy and very sore. I have spoken to a number of people who have had the same problems. I wonder what is in the BW that is causing this and I have to think if it creates a reaction in so many people, what does it do to fish longterm. What about stunting growth?? I have always wondered why some fish growth is stunted even when given the best of everything could this be due to allery reaction?

SnakeSkin Discus

garlic

Thanks guys!! That is very interesting. I used to eat garlic (in the odourless capsule form!) by the truckload for that very reason (antibiotic, great for getting rid of colds) It also lowers blood pressure for people with high blood pressure. So I had to stop eating it as I have lower than normal blood pressure anyway. Has anybody ever done a test on discus blood pressure. Is that possible? Probably a very stupid question but an interesting one nevertheless IMO.
    sammi

In regards to blood pressure, I dont know how that could be determined.

One aspect which can be observed, is there breathing (which in turn would be an indication of there heart rate).

Discus should be taking long and slow breath's, I find when my Discus are happy, one mouth movement every 2-3 seconds.

SnakeSkin Discus

breathing

Proteus, that is a good thing to know. thanks
    sammi