I asked Andrew for his comments on treating discus with Velvet, and he was kind enough to offer the following advice.

There are 2 methods. The first one is to use Copper Sulphate and it must be chelated either with acidic acid or some others. These are all quite unsafe as it is not very stable after a day or two and may become toxic especially in soft water. Best to use the proprietory ones (prepared by manufacturer as it is chelated with a secret formula....I also like to know what they use..he!he!)

The safest and the best method is to use long bath with salt. The dose is 2 ppt(200gm per 100liter of water) for one month and by the next month, every one of the oodinium will be gone forever....believe me.
Whenever you change water, add back the same dose or concentration.

***Important to note: Once you start treatment, never feed your discus with live or frozen freshwater Aquatic animal like tubiflex or Bloodworm. If you still believe that it is a must to feed all these and to pamper your discus, forget about the treatment...the problem will come back as these are the carriers of oodinium and many other pathogens.

We don't need to pamper discus with live or frozen aquatic animals just because discus live in water. We can change their diet to beefheart, porkheart, turkey heart, or proceesed dry food.....just like humans have unawarely change their own diet to include rice and pasta....I don't remember in history class....early man(cave man) running around in their birthday-suit already know how to make bread....do you know??? Are all the early man born with a genetic disposition to eat and to catch crabs and prawns in the river. If we just eat fish, prawns and crab with pasta.....we may live a long life........interestingly, this is more than what my mum is doing for the past 25 years and she is now 86. She eats only rice and fish.....these are all very alien to the very early man.

If some feel that we deprive them of their natural diet....put them back in the Amazon river.....better this way.

Warmest regards,
Andrew