Medium Discus

cleaning filters

Hi guys just a quick question can you let me know if you can clean out your sponges and canisters in aged water instead of tank water thanks
    Leanne

I HAVE VOTED TODAY HAVE YOU?

Yes, certainly you can. It's just the chlorine that kills the bacteria in your filter. If the water is dechlorinated, it would be fine.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Medium Discus
    Thanks Merrilyn I was just a little unsure but thats what I thought as well, i gotta a few babies off Karen today and didnt want to try it unless I was 100% sure
    Leanne

Hi, I'm New Here!
    leanne you make me jealous, say does karen have any babies for sale?, i'm looking to purchase 6 of an interesting colour, or will she swap for a broken beta video recorder per chance?
    i was lost, then discus found me

Medium Discus
    Shes got quite a few red turk X babies that are about a month old which would be ready in a month or two and shes got some golden snakeskin babies at the moment as well and I also think she said yesterday she was going to sell off some of her other fish to make room for some more babies as shes just got another couple of confirmed pairs.
    Leanne

Hi, I'm New Here!
    thanks for your reply am thinking of those golden snakeskins......
    i was lost, then discus found me

Blue Diamond Discus
    One of the drawbacks of living in Country NSW - no breeders nearby . Local Fish Shops have nothing in stock (and even if they did, they are severely Overpriced, 'cause they know that they are the only source).
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

Just an Egg
    You can wash media right under the tap. As soon as it is placed back in the tank its accumulates just as much bacteria

Quote Originally Posted by gotti
    You can wash media right under the tap. As soon as it is placed back in the tank its accumulates just as much bacteria
    This is strongly discouraged.

Contact with Chlorine kiils the active bacteria which assists in the nitrification cycle of the tank. 90%+ of deaths and issues in the tank I hear of daily are due to people washing filter media under the tap.

Wrigglers

Cleaning Canister Filters

"Never turn off the filter for more than a half hour, as the bacteria in the filter will die if their oxygen supply is cut off, and their remains will pollute the aquarium with hydrogen sulfide when the filter is turned back on...remember that critical bacteria are colonised on the medium, and don't clean, rinse or otherwise disturb the biological medium"

(biological medium = small ceramic tubes often called "noodles" and inert plastic devices called "bioballs" or "biospheres"?

quote from "DISUS FISH...a complete pet owner's manual" produced by Barron's

I believe this to be true now, as I am sure this is how my last discus, rummynose, tetras, etc died