Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown discus

Just an Egg

Brown discus

Has anyone seen any of these guy around? They look very nice and have a more natural feel than other dicus.

Alistair

The brown discus (Symphysodon aequifasciata axelrodi) is a subspecies of Symphysodon aequifasciata which also contains the green and blue discus and is a naturally occuring species. At one time this fish was the most commonly kept discus but that has changed with all of the specialized breeding for more colorful fish.

I see them around occasionally in the LFSs near where I live, along with blue and greens. Personally, I think that are just as nice as the more colorful varieties.

Bryan

i have two brown based discus...

when figure out how to post pictures you can go to the photo albi\um and see mine

matt

Just an Egg
    I have a couple of big brown discus and a pair of small one in my tank. That look alot better when they grow bigger.

Wrigglers
    Hey Guy's,

The Brown Discus is one I have been working on for 2yrs now.

I am always surprised by the variety in colour the young develop, anything from a cobolt blue to "my" sunshine turquiose to solid browns.

I bred from my parents and now have grown and spawned from the best selection of the offspring, 2nd generation. My aim is to succeed to 4th generation.

The 2 variants im concentrating on and achiving are the solid brown and sunshine turq.

There are adults of both these guy's available.

George
    Slippery Little Suckers
    632 Anzac Pde
    Kingsford NSW 2032
    Ph: 02 93155288
    Fx: 02 93155388
    http://www.slipperylittlesuckers.com
    Closed Wednesday's
    Part of the Aquariums Australia Pty Ltd group.
    Disclaimer: We attempt to provide gender and species as required, however we can not guarantee gender, genetics or species.

Brown

This one is very similar to the Browns im getting, only a little more brown:

http://www.discus.com.tw/Brown%201stS.jpg

Anthony 8)

San Merah Discus

The forgotten wilds....

Ah yes, the much forgotten wild brown discus.... While all the new and striking new colourful strains are enjoying the limelight of discus keeping at the moment, many of the serious discus breeders still take an interest in the wild forms.

In almost all the breeders I have met in Penang, they have at least a few tanks of wild type fish. Most common being Browns, Red Alenquer browns, Tefe red spotted greens and sometimes a few odd wild caught Heckels. Many of the breeders are exceptionally proud of their wild type fish and gladly even tell you what generation tank bred fish these are. Often, F2-F3 wild type fish get sold. These are very robust and tough fish, very close to the wild type fish but without the problems associated with wild caught stock.

My personal favourite of the browns are the "Red Alenquer" (Symphysodon aquafaciata alexrodi "Alenquer"), so called because the intense reddish brown colour is endemic to the Alenquer river.

We had a couple of them at SLS a while back and they were grown up to a good 5inches and looked fantastic in the planted display tank (I like the look of simple coloured discus in heavily planted tanks... just looks more 'natural'.).

Anyway, we will be getting a shipment of some 10-12 good sized Red Alenquer brown discus (F3) shortly on our shipment. Anyone interested in keeping some good 'wild type' fish would do well to keep a school of them.

While there is a place for all the weird and colourful variants we are getting today, lest we forget the roots of our beloved Discus fish....

kev

Larvae

wow

Wow, F3 Red Alenquers!!! I want I want

a school of those in my tank would look nice

talk to you soon kev!

I'm 2nd in line...

I promise not to push in...

Mwhahaha

Well kev you are the king!!, I saw these on the web site of the melbourne importer OAFI, but when i rang him he told me he hasn't had any for along time and he rarely updates his web page!! I was dearly disapointed. So if you can get some I am in for 1 or 2 aswell.

Proteus delete if its not allowed but this is his website check out discus and they are there, he doesnt have them so its not really competition.
    http://www.oafi.cjb.net/