Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    LEVIMENISOLE at 1ml/7L is harmless to bristlenoses, and kulli's, i have both in my tank.

Larvae
    Is there a ratio if I want to soak food with Big L?
    How long should I soak them?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Can I use Albendazole or Mebendazole for deworming discus both are for Human consumption.

ALBENDAZOLE
    http://www.squarepharma.com.bd/SPL_PI_PDF/Almex.pdf
    (Albendazole) is a benzimidazole anthelmintic active against most
    nematodes and some cestodes. It is used in the treatment of intestinal
    nematodes infections and in higher doses in the treatment of hydatid
    disease.
    It is used in the treatment of single or mixed intestinal infection caused by
    Enterobius vermicularis (Pinworm, Threadworm), Trichuris trichuria
    (Whipworm), Ascaris lumbricoides (Roundworm), Ancylostoma duodenale & Necator americanus (Hookworm), Taenia solium & Taenia saginata
    (Tapeworm), Strongyloides stercoralis.

MEBENDAZOLE
    http://www.squarepharma.com.bd/SPL_PI_PDF/Ermox.pdf
    (Mebendazole) is a synthetic derivative of benzimidazole with a
    potent anthelmintic activity against the most common nematodes and some cestodes. It is highly effective against ascariasis, enterobiasis, trichuriasis and hookworm infections.
    It is used in treatment of pinworm (Enterobius vermicularis),
    round worm (Ascaris lumbricoides), hookworm (Ancylostoma duodenale and Necator americanus), whip worm (Trichuris trichiura), tape worm (Taenia
    solium and taenia saginata) and threadworm (Strongyloides stercoralis) in
    single or mixed infections.

Thanks.
    "The best among people is one who is a source of benefit to the people." -Sahih Hadith

Welcome to the forum skmdmasud :P

Two of our members are vets, so I might leave it up to them to answer.

The reason we recommend Levamisole, especially the Big L brand of pig and poultry wormer, is that it is water soluble and contains no glucose.

Glucose will cause a bacterial bloom in your tank, and possibly kill your fish.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Merrilyn
    medicines like this are almost impossible to find here, may be because they sell it in different names or different ones, poultry is a big business here so there must be dewormers. Albendazole and Mebendazole are easy to find and cheap. Can i keep bacteria bloom with proper filteration.
    "The best among people is one who is a source of benefit to the people." -Sahih Hadith

Just an Egg
    Just got off the phone with my LFS & they use a drug called Flageil (Unsure of the spelling) which is actually a drug for humans.

Will this do the trick in terms of de-worming discus?

Have not actually dewormed my discus before & after some feed back from a fellow forum member & reading this thread its something that I 100% want to start doing (Awesome & informative thread I must say)

Don't really have any other contacts in regards to getting the specific treatments that have been recomended in this tread. Can anyone point me in the right direction - I'm in Sydney.

Blue Diamond Discus
    From what I have read flagyl is an atibiotic used for treating hex. Big L and prazi are for worming. Just have another read through this thread and it tells you all about it.

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by lpiasente
    From what I have read flagyl is an atibiotic used for treating hex. Big L and prazi are for worming. Just have another read through this thread and it tells you all about it.
    No worries, so my LFS is feeding me some BS by the sounds of it. I still actually have some flagyl at home, do you think it would be worth running anyway?... I don't like filling my tank full of chemicals if it is not needed, so I'm leaning towards no... But I'll take my advice from the experts

I know the products I'm after, but I had no luck in tracking them down. I have also e-mail Xtreme Aquariums, but have had no response as yet, but I only e-mailed them at COB yesterday.

Assuming Xtreme can't help me out, does anyone know of where I can buy the specific products in Sydney?

Blue Diamond Discus
    Well I'm not sure about the flagyl, it could be used for worming but I haven't read that anywhere yet. You can get the prazi at lps the big L comes from a rural supplies, horse shop.

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by lpiasente
    Well I'm not sure about the flagyl, it could be used for worming but I haven't read that anywhere yet. You can get the prazi at lps the big L comes from a rural supplies, horse shop.
    The FS i go to said it's what they use to de-worm their fish, but from what I've read in this thread, it doesn't look like it'll do the trick or it is not a very widely used product for fish (It is after all for humans).

Will continue to track down a LFS that carries praziquantal

You'll have to excuse my ignorance :P Does anyone have contact details for a rural supplies shop in Sydney? Perhaps a website that I can purchase off?