Just an Egg

amazon swords rooting

Hi all-

I noticed on one of my swords there's a particular outgrowth that has what look like bulbs, small leavesm, and even roots. Currently, they're running up a shoot that's long enough to come to the top of the tank.

Should I plant those in my substrate to create new mini swords??
    "Know that joy is rarer, more difficult and more beautiful than sadness. Once you make this all-important discovery, you must embrace joy as a moral obligation."

-Andre Gide

Wrigglers
    hi sleeper yes mate its the mother plant shooting of baby swords for you just plant the roots in your substrate

Just an Egg
    Thanks friend... it's been done, and you guys won't believe how quickly the new plants grew towards the light. "Phototropism" I believe it's called... they were growing parallel to the substrate but within 3 days they're completely perpendicular, beding back toward the window of my living room. Amazing!
    "Know that joy is rarer, more difficult and more beautiful than sadness. Once you make this all-important discovery, you must embrace joy as a moral obligation."

-Andre Gide

Your conditions must be pretty good then.

If the plants thrive, usually so do the fish
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    Well, in this 2 weeks I've owned them, I've become rather anal. I change about 20% of the tank's water every other day... I would do more but I don't want to mess up the discus or gouramis stress levels...

Is it true that plants act as natural filters and thus increase the water quality?

Also, would anyone say plecos are a risk to swords in terms of maybe grazing them or uprooting them?

-Andre Gide

a plec can up root the youngins but it might be fine. c how it goes
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Just an Egg
    My pleco tends to leave my plants alone, but if he keeps bothering the smaller ones, I put a piece of lead around the base until it roots itself firmly, then remove it. Works like a charm!

My swords are sprouting babies left right and center, I simply cut them off and sell them! I dont want more amazons, just bigger ones!

Just an Egg
    A piece of lead? 1) what exactly do you mean 2) isn't lead in water like, really, really bad? Isn't that how th Roman Empire fell... and wouldn't it be awful for discus?

-Andre Gide

Just an Egg
    Nope, it doesnt affect the water. I dont know about discus because I donthave any in my tank yet, but they had plenty lead weighted plants in the discus tank at my favorite store. They carry it in every (halfway decent) petstore. Here is an example.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2004+2021+1031